cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Android Security Updates

fswings
Visitor

Morning all,

Does EE "manage" (vet / delay) device Android security updates from the Manufacturers? If so, what is the typical delay between Manufacturer release and EE customers receiving the update?

Is the update process and timing up to Oppo or is EE custom firmware involved and as such there is a lag between say when Oppo first release an update and EE releasing to their customers?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Oppo Find X3 Pro via EE and have a few questions about the regular Android security update process as I use my phone occasionally for work.

My current phone is a OnePlus Pro 7 bought sim-free and the security updates have been quite regular often within 2 months of release by Google.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I've seen comments about Google and Samsung devices being 'updated directly' so seeking clarification for Oppo here as well.

1 REPLY 1
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @fswings ,

As you wait for the official update from EE on your query, I thought I would add the below useful information provided by EE as a general contextual reference.

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Blog/How-EE-works-to-test-smartphone-software-updates/ba-p/696855

I've seen a recent claim on here that some (or all) Samsung devices receive their updates direct from the manufacturer without EE's intervention or involvement but cannot see an official reference one way or the other.

Typically, I buy my handsets unencumbered by any network service provider control as I want my feature updates and security updates as early as possible, and am willing to debug regression and incompatibility issues myself and at my own cost (e.g. replacing a device where necessary).

The main disadvantage I'm aware of is that Android phones (in particular) may not support VoLTE or VoWiFi on certain networks without certain settings or firmware supplied by the service provider. I've had this issue for some time with Virgin Mobile as I moved from flagship Samsung devices to rugged Cat devices and my call quality is awful which I suspect would be solved by VoLTE as WhatsApp calls are fine.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/mobile/wifi-and-4g-calling

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net