Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Signal but no Internet/DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi there

I have an Android head unit for my car which has 4G internet. Ive put a 4G data only card in and it registers and picks up a strong 4G signal, but when I try and use any apps or Chrome i cant connect to the internet. Via Chrome I get the following error - DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG. No stand along apps such as Google Maps work

I know the SIM works as i use it with a Mifi dongle. Ive updated the APN settings as per the below.

Name: EE internet
APN: everywhere
Proxy: Not Required
Port: Not Required
Username: eesecure
Password: secure
Server: Not Required
MMSChttp://mms/

MMS proxy: 149.254.201.135
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 30
Authentication type: Not Required or just use the default value shown.

Ive checked all the other settings, turned airplane mode on/off, data on/off, reset network settings etc

Here are the band tables for the Android unit

GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800
EVDO: BC0
WCDMA: B1, B5, B8
TD-SCDMA: B34, B39
FDD-LTE: B1, B3, B5, B7, B8
TDD-LTE: B38, B39, B40, B41

Any help much appreciated.

IMG_1194.JPGIMG_1195.JPGIMG_1196.JPGIMG_1200.JPG

[Mod edit: Image rejected due to it containing private information.]

11 REPLIES 11
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @MROB1974

Does the SIM card connect to the internet when you put it in a different device?

Chris

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes. I was recently using it with a Mifi device 

Christopher_G

OK thanks for confirming, @MROB1974.

Do you have an active data allowance?

Chris

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Yes. Loads of data on my sim 

Christopher_G

OK, thanks @MROB1974.

It might be worth speaking to our technical support team so that they can look into this for you.

Chris

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have. No real help. They blamed the hardware, but the strange thing is the unit IS attached to a strong 4G EE Network and data is being consumed. Its just the apps that aren't loading 

I checked the data tracker in the Network settings and the unit is taking in data from the Network, for example date/time is being set automatically. Only a small amount of data is being used in the background, but still its data and proves there is a handshake of sorts between the device and the EE Network. 

Christopher_G

It's a strange one, because the SIM is definitely able to connect to the network, @MROB1974.

Have you spoken to your car/head unit manufacturer? They may have come across something like this before.

Chris

MROB1974
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So i bought a Vodafone Date SIM and plugged it in. No issues at all. All the Apps work on the device with no drama. So the problem is with EE in my opinion. Why would a Vodafone SIM work but not an EE one? 

@MROB1974  If that EE sim works when in a different device then there is nothing wrong with the sim it’s the head unit that needs to be configured correctly.   
 What head unit is it ? Model Number? Make ?