cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message scam about rewards points from EE

Margih62
Investigator
Investigator

Hi is anyone else getting messages supposed to be from EE  saying they've got thousands of rewards points that's going to be  lost in 2 days if they dont  click on the link to spend them?

727 REPLIES 727

Hello.

Yes, within 3 days I have had 5-6 scam text messages. Two being from 'Royal Mail' like another person has mentioned with the same 'buzz' link. All ending in the same way like a script. I believe there may have been a data leak with EE because no one should know my provider except EE themselves and I don't go on any questionable sites. That is my guess, not a fact. There is a sudden high number of recent scam texts for EE customers with this single group judging by the links we have received, thus my guess. Best for EE to check out and make sure. As long as you don't respond to the text message or click on any links then they should eventually stop.

Normally scammers have a list of contact details and will keep notes on who answers and who doesn't. So if texting doesn't work, they might try to call you. Do not answer any phone numbers you do not know. If it is an important number they normally would come up as 'private' such as nhs services, doctors in some cases and DWP.

If you have clicked the link and entered any details then please inform your bank and do not waste time. If you have visited any sites on the computer then make sure your antivirus software is up to date and run your scans.

Just block the numbers or ignore and report if you wish.

Stay safe everyone and have a good day. ^-^

helpful thread, will send screenshots of messages i have recieved to 7726 👍

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @LynnMei 

Thanks for making us aware of these scam texts. 

These messages can be very convincing and look or sound like genuine messages sent by organisations you already deal with – and may even appear within an existing message string from a known organisation, no data has been provided.

Please forward the texts to 7726 and our security team will get these looked into. 

Leanne.

This is 100% a scam. I've received 3 messages, from 3 different numbers in 24 hours saying the same thing. I was already suspicious of it so I wouldn't ever click on random links BUT the biggest red flag was the very last sentence. It read "EE wishes you a happy life."....that in itself is a huge sign that EE haven't sent the message. You should never ever click on links in messages. Especially when the message makes no sense. Points for prizes makes zero sense because EE don't do that. I hope you haven't gave them your bank details? If so, ring your bank right away.

This is 100% a scam. I've received 3 messages, from 3 different numbers in 24 hours saying the same thing. I was already suspicious of it so I wouldn't ever click on random links BUT the biggest red flag was the very last sentence. It read "EE wishes you a happy life."....that in itself is a huge sign that EE haven't sent the message. You should never ever click on links in messages. Especially when the message makes no sense. Points for prizes makes zero sense because EE don't do that.

well if it's a scam then it must be EE selling our numbers as i have never used my number that i got that message on unless it is to phone my other phone ,,,, so looks like EE are flogging our numbers out .

a little bit of harsh reality. shame on you EE.!!

Christopher_G

Hi @ee2Bornot2Bee 

Welcome to the community.

EE take security very seriously when it comes to handling your data. You can find more information on our Privacy Policy page.

If you have received a scam message, please forward it to 7726 free of charge so that it can be investigated by a security team.

Thanks

Chris

Christopher_G

Hi @Margih62 

Welcome to the community.

Is there a number attached to the message?

Chris

Unfortunately, I was thinking the same thing. I don't give my number out to anyone so it's very dodgy. It's also not a coincidence that they message us saying they're from EE and we're actually on EE. Either way, I've reported them all. You should forward the messages to 7726...it's an official spam/scam report number. 

I am quite worried that my number has been sold and them knowing I'm on EE is a little concerning. How safe are our phone numbers with you guys?. I've had 3 messages from 3 different numbers in 24 hours and it's quite stressful as I'm going through a great deal right now. I've reported each message to the 7726 but I'm worried they're going tk carry on.