cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlock code for a Motorola Startac mr501 - locked to Orange

martingrayson
Explorer

I have an old Motorola Startac mr501 that is locked to Orange. These phone are from the late 90s. The phone is GSM1800 compatible, so should work with the EE network, but when I insert an EE sim, I am prompted to enter an 8 digit special code - I presume this is the network unlock code.

As EE took over Orange, can anyone confirm if EE can provide that code for such an old device? Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@martingrayson  You can make that request HERE  but just to inform you that as this is a 3G device soon it’ll not pick up 3G as 3G is being switched off,  it’ll still work over 2G though.   

Ps great phone it was my first ever mobile phone. 

martingrayson
Explorer

@Chris_B Thanks! - I had no idea you could try to unlock via the website. I did try the IMEI number I got from the phone (it had 15 digits), however, the website returned an error - I am guessing that the phone is simply not on their database anymore - not sure how long they kept the old Orange phone details around.

I guess in the case that the code is lost forever, I did go on to find an unlock service from eBay: Unlock Motorola StarTAC MicroTAC Flare Timeport MR1 MR20 MR30 Mobile Phones code | eBay.

I have not used anything like that before - would love to know if it works - £29.99 seems pricey too - but if its the only option now...