cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lightphone 2

Rbobbins
Investigator
Investigator

Hi EE, please could you consider adding the Lightphone 2 to your supported devices?

Most other UK carriers support this phone, but you do not.

thelightphone.com

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@twinnybriggsy   The device supports the bandwidths that EE use  and the manufacturer says it works with BT,   BT is an MVNO network that uses EEs network.  EE can not do anything to make a device work on the network network the device has to be made/built/manufactured  to work on a network by supporting the bandwidths that the network uses.    The device was made to support the bandwidths that EE uses as the manufacturer claims it works with BT and BT use the EE network as they are a MVNO network.

EE can not flick a switch to make a device work on the network it’s all device based by the device being made to support the bandwidths a network uses. 

here are EEs bandwidths,  this is what a device has to support to work on the EE network.  EE can not make a device work on the network as it’s all device based. 

F3D45665-5DF8-4593-8043-0485B360587C.jpeg

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Welcome to the community, @Rbobbins

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll certainly pass it on. 🙂

Chris

Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Rbobbins   The device will work on EE it has the correct bandwidth.s.    If you mean can EE sell the device I can not find any uk network that sells it directly can you provide links ? 

https://www.thelightphone.com/compatibility-checker

On lightphone's compatibility section, when selecting UK, they state:

"You will need the International version of the Light Phone.

It uses the following 4G LTE Bands:
B1, B3, B5, B7, B8, B20, B28

It will work with the following carriers in your region:
Vodafone, Three, BT, Giff Gaff

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with the following carriers:
O2, EE."

Upon messaging their customer service regarding this they stated:

"Unfortunately, the carrier has not agreed to support Light Phone II on their network. Until this happens, we are unable to provide support with the carrier.

We hope this changes in the future and will update our compatibility page with any changes."

@Rbobbins    you’ve do know you put BT ??   Are you not aware that BT is a MVNO network and that they use the EE network to give their customers a cellular connection.   If it works on BT it’s works on EE 

EE use B1,B3,B7 and band 20 all for 4G and  B1 will also give you 3G and B3 will give you 2G.  

you are aware this device is around 1 year old in the UK but it was originally released late 2019

No network can make a device work on there network unless the device supports the bandwidth that the network uses.   And that down to the manufacturer to make it compatible with a network. 

Hi. No I was not aware.

I just posted what the manufacturer states on their site and email.

@Christopher_G would be great to get confirmation from EE that these phones will work on the network?

Would be nice to see EE on the approved list on lightphone's website.

Leanne_T

Hi @Rbobbins

Thanks for the feedback, this has been passed on.

To find out which networks the phone supports please check with the manufacturer.

Thanks. 

Leanne.

@Leanne_T   The link provided by @Rbobbins  is the manufacturers website and they do say it’s not compatible with EE but will work with BT ???      They even list the bandwidth that the device use and it’s the same bandwidth that EE use.   

Leanne_T

Thanks @Chris_B @Rbobbins

I will see if I can find any further information on this device and let you know 🙂

Leanne. 

Leanne_T

Hi @Rbobbins 

I have been advised, as this isn’t a device we stock on EE, we can’t guarantee compatibility.

If you would like further information, please contact the manufacturer.

Leanne.