Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox game pass locked

SmiXbox
Investigator
Investigator

Hello,

I purchased a code from a vendor via kinguin.net, unfortunately it turned out to be a scam/extortion. It was supposed to be a code for XBOX GAME PASS ULTIMATE for a month while it turned out to be a subscription with no option to cancel, which is managed by a third-party company 'BT/EE' - not microsoft. It follows that using the account from which I activated the subscription and on which it is active, nothing can be done with it - that is, I cannot cancel it. It can be managed through the BT/EE account to which I do not have access. (I previously had neither a BT account nor an EE account). The vendor has access. He said there is nothing he can do and recommended I contact Microsoft while Microsoft support said only BT/EE can help me with this. I need help with opting out of this scam. I can't create a bt account to get help from them because the activation code doesn't come to my email. Also I can't add new codes to xbox game pass because the subscription is managed by bt/ee

the same problem has at least a dozen people contributing to bt/ee forums:

@Hellrionhttps://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Gaming/Xbox-Game-Pass-EE-BT-locked-account/m-p/1283836#M12784

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/How-do-I-unlink-Xbox-Game-Pass-from-BT/td-p/2311461How do...

https://community.bt.com/t5/Broadband-Extras-Apps-from-BT/Xbox-Game-Pass-EE-BT-locked-account/td-p/2...

thanks in advance for your help

19 REPLIES 19
SmiXbox
Investigator
Investigator

@WittyCheetah927https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Gaming/Xbox-Games-pass-not-EE-customer/m-p/1294895

,@RochePoche@doublexrossed:  https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Gaming/Xbox-Game-Pass-Ultimate-not-a-EE-BT-customer/m-p/1294495#M12905

the above marked have the same problem, if you see the marking then let us know how the situation with this problem is with you.

@Hellrion - as far as I know deleting the account does not remove the subscription - that's what they told me at microsoft

I have the same problem that this "malicious subscription" renewed itself and I had no control to disable/remove it. I don't have any payment forms plugged in but the subscription automatically renews itself periodically - and I am helpless to remove the subscription from my account

Hellrion
Investigator
Investigator

Hey,

I’m one of those people and indeed the BT and EE can’t do anything because only the customer has the power to cancel this subscription so when someone notice that he was charged by something he don’t have enabled, call BT/EE to cancel and then your will be able to buy a Xbox game pass key from official source and the subscription method will be replaced. I of course informed BT and EE about it via mail and on service line and this is what they told me. I gave them a game pass key that linked my account and all details for my account 

Microsoft told me to wait one month and see if it cancelled but unfortunately it was renewed and somebody got charged so I reach out to the Microsoft again and currently my issue went to the Management Team so the higher ups to see if they can do something. 

The worst case scenario is to delete your account which I will do because I don’t want to be part of it and it will stop renewing for someone but Microsoft told me that it’s the last resort and it’s good to wait for management team answer so I not lose all the purchased games. 

This really suck that no one has a power to do anything about it even after reporting this kind of scams and I’m sure the tech guys from EE/BT can detect it easily but it’s not possible without customer itself on the line 

SmiXbox
Investigator
Investigator

Obviously, there was a massive fraud and such large companies should solve the problem efficiently and not send us back one by one. Microsoft sends to BT/EE, BT community sends to microsoft - you can go crazy. Little bit like an infinite loop

SmiXbox
Investigator
Investigator

Could someone from technical support help us with this issue? Possibly outline the next steps we should do to unhook this scam from our account?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @SmiXbox

I would recommend getting back in touch with Microsoft to see if anything else could be done. As it is a subscription this will need to be removed by the customer. 

Katie

Hi, I am getting this problem too with a key I bought from Driffle. So far, the only advice that I have seen is to let it ride out and at some point it will revert back to normal, apparently. But I don't really know when or how because I can't check the expiration date either.

Just in case, I removed my payment methods from my account, but do you think more precautions are in order? I guess that as long as I get the subscription I paid for, I can let it slide as minor inconvenience. But I am afraid that either I lose my subscription sooner than I should, or that in the end my account will stay bugged...

I'm getting this problem too with a key I bought. Has anything bad happened? I need an update.

Sunoce
Investigator
Investigator

I have the same issue. Any update on this topic? 

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Where did you purchase your Game Pass from, @Sunoce?

Chris