Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming not working

Johnmids
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, can anyone help me?

- I have an EE contract, texted 150 before I left the UK for the US and am paying the £25 data roaming fee for this month

- My phone has picked up the T Mobile Network in the US, my data roaming is on and my network settings are set to autoselect (obvs)

- I just want to use data (not make calls or send texts) so my spend cap is set to £0. But I can't use the Internet/WhatsApp on my phone unless I connect to a local WiFi (like now).

What is going on? 

Thanks so much.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thx again.

Goodness, I need to be more precise with my words with this. All new to me (obvs).

The text from EE this morning on 150 says "your phone is all set to roam in any country worldwide and you have a £0 spend cap active". I have checked my account and my Roaming Pass Add On is active. 

I am currently connected to T Mobile. I have also tried AT&T. Neither work when I try to use WhatsApp/ Apps unless I connect to local WiFi - like now.

I think I will have to use the Call Back function. Which, for anyone from EE, has a typo in the message (it should be a guide, not an guide).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

@Johnmids wrote:

- I have an EE contract, texted 150 before I left the UK for the US

What exactly did you text to 150 before leaving the UK? Was it ROAMING? And did you receive a confirmation response?

This is crucial - without this, you've not enabled roaming, which prevents your phone from connecting to foreign networks, and explains all your symptoms.

The billing add-on you've paid for is immaterial for this purpose. There is no charge to enable the free roaming facility - which allows for mobile data use, voice calls & text messages on foreign networks.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. 

I texted Roaming Pass. I got a confirmation. I checked my Account. Roaming is on.

I have just texted Roaming to 150, then Abroad and it confirms my phone is set for Roaming. Option 4 is Call Back, which I think I will do.

Did I miss something?

@Johnmids wrote:

I checked my Account. Roaming is on.

There is nowhere on your online account that roaming is selectable, it would be so much easier if it was!! You may be confused with "call abroad" or "data roaming", which are different things.

However - if you have managed to send and receive text messages whilst abroad, you have a local network connection and are therefore roaming. Some users may call this "text roaming".

If you have the Roam Abroad pass, then usage of your UK allowances is inclusive - that said, try increasing your spend cap to allow £10 of headroom. Stranger things have happened with other users! https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/billing-usage-and-top-up/track-and-manage-your-usage/how-do-i-set-up-... 

Your other option is to try connecting to an alternative local network if one is available.

Thx again.

Goodness, I need to be more precise with my words with this. All new to me (obvs).

The text from EE this morning on 150 says "your phone is all set to roam in any country worldwide and you have a £0 spend cap active". I have checked my account and my Roaming Pass Add On is active. 

I am currently connected to T Mobile. I have also tried AT&T. Neither work when I try to use WhatsApp/ Apps unless I connect to local WiFi - like now.

I think I will have to use the Call Back function. Which, for anyone from EE, has a typo in the message (it should be a guide, not an guide).

Johnmids
Investigator
Investigator

It seems there is a software conflict between Roaming and £0 Spend Cap.

If (like me) you set up Roaming but it doesn't work, add a Spend Cap, Turn Off the Phone, Leave it awhile, Turn it Back on and...

You can then put Spend Cap back to £0.

Fingers crossed.