cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are Reasonable 5G WiFi Speeds in inner city London?

Jesus_H_Christ
Investigator
Investigator

I use mobile data on a Galaxy A54 5G and best speeds reached are ~165 Mb/s (~20MB/s). My SIM plan says maximum speeds and there are no caps. I've read on the forum that people are seeing speeds of 700 Mb/s-1.2 Gb/s as the norm. I've  spoken to EE about it numerous times and they said the network was working fine. Am I missing something? Also, I've noticed when tethering, that my phone comes up as using 802.11n instead of 802.11ax. Why is that? My laptop is capable of 802.11ax, as is my phone.

7 REPLIES 7
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Jesus_H_Christ   5G and Wi-Fi are not the same thing.     Wi-Fi is a signal given of a router that your device can use for you to access to the internet via that router connection to the network

5G is a cellular connection type that a mobile device can access to use for its network connection this 5G signal is given off from a cellular mast.   There is also 4G and 2G.  This is also 3G but this is being switched off and it’s a legacy connection type.  

as for your laptop that’s a laptop setting that you need to check and properly change 

Please check in Device Manager, expand Network adapter then double-click Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201. Go to its Driver tab then take note of its Driver version. Go to its Advanced tab then check if these options are available under Property: 802.11a/b/g/ Wireless Mode and 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode. If they are available, select them and take note which Value are they set to. Check also what are the other values are available for each of them. If possible take some screenshots and share those to us here.

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Jesus_H_Christ 

It depends where you are in the city. 

Unbelievably I managed a 5G  hight quality teams call tethered to my laptop at Kings Cross (outside Parcel Yard 😉) which only 6 months ago was unimaginable. EE have definitely improved in London over the last 6 months but still has work to do. 

Fenchuch Avenue the signal quality drips becase of all the glass buildings at low level. 

With regards to tethering to your laptop, go into settings on your phone (these options should be available) and change the band (click on band) you tether with to your laptop. This will impact your connection to your laptop for example the teams call above I moved the connection to the top performance setting;

Screenshot_20240217_125531_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20240217_125521_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20240217_125537_Settings.jpg

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

1000001395.jpg

1000001394.jpg

1000001397.jpg

I don't have the slider on my Galaxy A54 5G.

1000001398.jpg

Jesus_H_Christ
Investigator
Investigator

So, I just noticed a toggle for enabling Wi-Fi 6 standard for mobile hotspot and tethering, that I had never enabled since I got my SIM 18 months ago. Okie-dokie! However, it still doesn't explain my mobile data speeds of ~20MB/s on 5G. Or, does it? I doubt it. I smell burnt toast!

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Jesus_H_Christ 

Thanks for coming back to the community. 

Are you able to try the SIM card in another device to see if the speeds increase? 

Leanne.

Hi @Jesus_H_Christ 

You'll should get the slider when your firmware next upgrades . Yes activate the WiFi 6 option.  

Under those windows settings disable power save to your laptop modem adaptor. You can also set the default WiFi connection if you want.

As for your question, it depends on the location and quality of signal. London is improving but still limited in areas becase of the buildings. The lower level infrastructure installed the better. 

Let us know how you get on. 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.