cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible signal - no improvement in sight

trinity956
Investigator
Investigator

I moved 10-7-23 and since that day I have no way of calling, txt or using the internet inside or outside my property. I have bt wifi so i have this turned on. However I have found that since that time no matter where I go in my area  I get a poor signal. surrounding city is a poor signal, and pretty much everywhere I go the signal is poor. I have tried putting in a new EE sim card,  not E sim that I current have that was  an operator advice and this was poor. I have tried refreshing my EE E sim that is poor. In November i changed phones to iphone 15 thinking that might help my problems but no change on a brand new phone. poor outside and poor inside. I have called up three times about this issue and each time I am told I am between two cell towers and there is no reason it's like that it must be me, get a new sim to replace your old one.   Well I used to get a full signal at my old address. I was there today and couldnt even get a txt to send from that location. I pay 36 quid for a useless contract which has remained useless pretty much from July 23. However today going to a location that I used to have a fantastic signal to find 1 bar and nothing happening frustrating. I am disabled and was trying to txt husband to pick me up but I couldnt call him. I really want to leave as I cannot rely on your services any more. You have provided me nothing for the last 12 months.
My question is why are we all getting a poor signal.  Most of my area have left EE because of the poor signal.  Why where there was a good signal has it dropped to nothing.  Meanwhile we're being told there is nothing wrong yet nothing gets done.  I have 5 months of this left.  Today I topped up pay and go Asda pay and go sim that is laods better value,  and at least allows me to make a call or text when I need.  Hence if this issue remains I won't stay. I have been with EE for 13 years.    make matters worse you make us write formally or expect us to call?  I am done with calling - considering if I was not connected to wifi I wouldn't be able to call you....or is that your plan?

8 REPLIES 8
bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

All networks have good & bad coverage areas, and WiFi-calling is always available to allow you continued use of your phone anywhere that indoor coverage is a problem.

@trinity956 wrote:

pretty much everywhere I go the signal is poor....However today going to a location that I used to have a fantastic signal to find 1 bar and nothing happening frustrating.

All of these comments are suggestive of a faulty phone, otherwise every EE user in each of these locations would also be affected, complaint volumes would be significant. Does the coverage webtool predict a broadly similar service to that which you experience?

Asda is an MVNO piggyback operator, those providers tend to focus on the budget end of the market and it's no surprise they're cheaper than EE.

I would agree but it's happening outside and at a lot of places.  I always could rely on data and mobile signal, but not any more.  can't happen pretty much everywhere.  not just me it's happening to lots of people I know.  

I know how to use a mobile phone and how signals work. Clearly lack of investment in Staffordshire.  

@trinity956   On what device is this you don’t say 

@trinity956 wrote:

I know how... signals work

What's your level of technical understanding of the radio layer? Are you familiar with the different carriers & bands which make up a 4G service? The access layer has come a long way since the 2G days - 4G now being provided across 4 layers, each with their own performance characteristics & behaviours.

Much of the explanation for perceived poor service could lie in there. There are scenarios where, far from "lack of investment", the exact opposite could be the case. Improved service often comes from high-band deployment, which can cause complaints of "fewer bars".

Depending whether you're using  5G phone, that adds another layer of complexity.

this is an iPhone 15 pro max

I was using prior iPhone 12 Pro Max before  no change between either phone. 

other half has a iPhone SE from work which is also on ee and he does not get a signal here either. 1 bar gives nothing - great for him as he does not have to take work calls.  me different thing. 

bristolian
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

What do you mean by "1 bar gives nothing"?

If one of the coverage bars is indicated, that phone has service.

shows one bar but can't internet search and cannot receive or make a call.  the signal is so weak it won't work.  happened on both  phones. tried new sim, refresh E sim and even used it out of a case incase it was blocking the phone.  nothing worked.  I regular see posts on local fb groups people saying fed up with ee as they're getting the same.  despite multiple complaints EE say there is nothing wrong. 

can't do it on multiple phones without issue with network.  

I was stranded today, unable to walk, unable to call for help.  Thats when I decided had enough.  

thinking buying out contract 5 months left.  complaint to regulators will follow.  It's a shame but its total rubbish here now and EE won't take responsibility and tell everyone they should have a good signal.   

@trinity956 wrote:

shows one bar but can't internet search and cannot receive or make a call.  the signal is so weak it won't work.

It's unfortunate that you're using Apple phones, Android's are a lot easier to interrogate the radio layer and thus remove the emotion from troubleshooting.

Fundamentally, if a signal is shown, it should be usable. Anything other, and something is awry. To just blame the network in your case feels an oversimplification. It would be an interesting case to dive into further, but that's not easy with Apple phones.

Ofcom don't accept complaints from individual users.