cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia 105 not making or receiving calls

Kim_J
Investigator
Investigator

I use an old 2G Nokia 105 (dumb) phone. Discovered this week that when making a call it just cuts out. Last time I can remember making a call was mid to late April. Still able to send and receive texts. Network seems to be fine, getting four bars on phone and no issues in my area.

Called tech support using my O2 work (smart)phone and they checked whether the Nokia phone receives calls, and same issue there.

They thought it might be due to 3G being switched off but could be the phone or the SIM. Found I can make calls in places (with public WiFi?) like the shopping centre or the office but nowhere else. 

Tried shutting down and restarting the phone, tech support also tried a reset, but no use.

I bought a new Nokia 105 (again a basic handset just for calls and texts) with 4G connectivity to see if that helped but it doesn't, doing exactly the same thing.

Also tried the new SIM which came with the new phone in both phones and getting exactly the same issues with that so I don't think it is the SIM either.

Tried the restart also

Was going to ask in the local ee store tomorrow when not working, but unlikely to be able to demonstrate the problem as it is in the shopping centre!

Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
bristolian
Legend
Legend

All 3G phones have always dropped back to 2G when there's no 3G service, all that's changed is that's now a permanent thing. I'd hope that all "technical" agents would know this.

If you've been able to make calls using WiFi-calling (not using any app) then that will work over any wireless connection and also prove your SIM active - some results from a Google search suggest this phone will use the VoWiFi-service.

You could demonstrate the issue by disabling WiFi on the phone, though I would be surprised if they don't end up referring to "Technical Support" themselves.

Check the phone's menu for any option for "VoLTE" or "4G-calling" and ensure it's enabled.

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Kim_J - Which retailer did you buy the Nokia 105 4g from? EE? HMD's e-commerce shop? You could try updating the software on the handset?

I am not sure there is a menu and can't find anything like that. There are network settings so I just selected ee when it came up as search, and I tried the automatic option as well. Neither help.

Kim_J
Investigator
Investigator

I bought it on Amazon and the supplier was speedy gadgets. Have no idea how to update the software. I don't think basic phones can have software updated by the user but don't know. 

354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Kim_J - On your Nokia 105 4g, if you navigate to the Cog icon from the main screen then navigate into System you might see an option to update software; assuming that your sim has mobile connectivity. 

Kim_J
Investigator
Investigator

No, don't have anything like that on the phone! It is very low tech. Only phone settings/ network selection. But went to the ee store today and they confirmed it wasn't my phone, SIM or account - said there have been network problems in parts of my area reported for the last 2 weeks or so - something to do with masts not talking to each other - but nothing on the website as yet, still says excellent coverage!!! And no indication of when it might be fixed either. Although they did report my own post code on request.

Not great as I have a medical condition which means my GP or the hospital might need to call me or I might need to call them urgently. I could use my work phone to call them in an emergency as that uses the O2 network, but won't know if they are trying to call me.

I work in financial services and our regulator would be down on us like a ton of bricks for this kind of service. Also live well within a mile of a city centre, not out in the sticks!