Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unlimited data contract showing 100GB allowance

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

hi there

i moved from 30GB to an unlimited data plan.

so far i'm happy with it but the more you read about unlimited plans more worried i get.

i'm not sharing outside my household. 1 PC, 1 laptop, a few phones, printer and a CCTV camera. right now i'm sharing my internet through my new iphone's 5G hotspot.

1. been looking at my account and saw this little treat. it shows unlimited plan but a 100GB allowance. how should i read into that? 

2. i was thinking of getting one of those 5G CPE routers. i have a large TV and i like watching very good quality 4k streaming shows/films. i am also playing 4k online games. i do believe that those use a lot of data. i would like to raise the question again if possible. what is the FUP / month. i've read of 600GB and also of 1TB and that's quite a bit of a difference. how can i be sure on which one i am and what will happen if i go over it every month? what are the other plans and prices everyone else is enquiring about but have no answers here on forum?

thanks for all your time.

26 REPLIES 26
mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

I think if you look into the 100 GB allowance number, that is the giftable allowance that will be decremented first before you hit your unlimited allowance.

Edit: even heavy streaming usage is unlikely to exceed 300 GB to 600 GB per month. Likely to be a non-issue that you can keep track of anyway.

If your requirements are nearer or exceeding 1 TB, you are likely to need bespoke advice for your particular use case.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

If that's the case, how hard it is to rename it as Giftable Allowance?

Also, for 5g , I believe I've read the allowance is 120GB.

In only 1 week, according to that breakdown, I've used 73GB. And I was only on my phone doing youtube.

Surely smtg is wrong there

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

If you are on an unlimited contract, that sounds very messed up and warrants an immediate call to the service provider, which shall not be named, to be resolved immediately. 🤓

Edit: I guess we all rely on the service provider, which shall not be named, to perform its contract, and in my case I took a contract relying on the Reserve Data which should kick in after a 200 GB allowance is exhausted. Severe problems may be caused by poor implementation of contracted terms. 😞

Edit2: I'm interested in the outcome of this as having Reserve Data is a similar boat, except in theory I will be throttled to 2 Mbps after the allowance.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @JohnRo79

Thanks for coming to the community. 

How much data is showing if you visit add-on.ee.co.uk?

You can find information in our How do unlimited Plans work, Help page.

Thanks.

Leanne.

A quick mention that the above links provided by the OP, who may be unable to respond for obvious reasons, lead to multiple screenshots which confirm the situation as described. 🤓

-- 
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks @mikeliuk 

Just seen the screenshots now, thanks for pointing this out 🙂

@JohnRo79 I would suggest giving us a call on 150, our Mobile Care team can check your plans data allowance and help you further. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

ok, done that twice. called 150 and even spoke with a technical advisor.

the technical advisor said that what's on forum is not quite what it is.

so from my understanding, there's this 100GB hotspot cap.

it is the same with the 100 GB giftable data.

after you use it, you can't hotspot anymore.

the reason for it is that the phone sim cards are different then the broadband sim cards. only those have a 600GB fair usage Tethering policy limit.

twice they've told me that what it is under My EE account , all that data that is tracked, is only gifted+hotspoted data. thay can't track mobile phone data usage

just imagine my eyes rolling here. is that even possible?

meanwhile, i've asked if there are any caps or restrictions on my account, regarding data usage. i've been told twice that it's only that 100GB hotspoted + gifted data. and yet again, my account shows 9GB left of 100GB, in an unlimited data plan

today is not a good day for me as my plans to go with EE unlimited seems a bad choice, but please tell me if anything i've typed made sense to you and if you think that there's still smtg/anything else i could try.

i've even went to buy extra data add-on. no data add on is showing as an option.

(forgot to mention that in the last 24hrs i've tethered about 90+GB)

JohnRo79
Established Contributor
Established Contributor
  • Just to confirm what others were concerned about too about the first 100gb of traffic used (regardless if it’s tethered or on your phone)

B77409FD-E159-4555-AA57-7DA11A68546C.png