cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can’t use data roaming in EU

helpmegetdata
Investigator
Investigator

hello, i need help as i bought a 30 day sim to use in the uk and eh, however before i left the uk i forgot to on data roaming. i can’t use the data now in amsterdam. please help. i can’t see to find the chat button to message an EE staff 

8 REPLIES 8
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Does your phone show a connection to any Dutch networks? Data roaming simply means using mobile data whilst roaming and is normally a phone setting.

Of crucial importance is the roaming facility which is at account-level and enables access to foreign networks - this allows voice-call roaming, text-message-roaming & data-roaming.

Are you on pay-monthly or PAYG? The process differs.

i just bought a one off £15 for 30 days. i can’t seem to be connected to roaming 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Unless you've agreed to a minimum-term contract, that sounds like a PAYG phone. Those are auto-enabled for roaming once they are first used in the UK.

Did you use that SIM on EE's UK network first, before travelling abroad? If you didn't, you will need to do so before it will work abroad.

Did you use this PAYG SIM to make calls or texts in the UK before going abroad? It needs first activating on EE's home UK network. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

i won’t be travelling back to the uk for another 12 days and need the data here in EU rn. how can i activate it here! 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

If you have travelled abroad without activating a new PAYG SIM in the UK first, you cannot activate it abroad. There is no workaround, unless you are willing to post the SIM back to a trusted friend or relative in the UK - who can activate it and return it to you.

i’m just a tourist and need the data here in the EU. is there any way i can contact a support team at EE?

bristolian
Legend
Legend

You can contact EE CS on +44 7953 966150 from any other phone. If your phone is SIM-unlocked, I would suggest you purchase a local SIM as an interim measure.