Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two devices one data package

Boatfreak
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry but its a bit involved.

I have a boat I live on in the Mediterranean in the summer.  We anchor a lot.  If the boat drags its anchor when we are ashore its a very big deal.  You can get an App that sends you a text if this happens but it only works on Apple phones.  The phone has to stay on the boat when you go ashore.  I dont want to have an expensive Iphone I can't take off the boat when I go ashore, so I will buy a secondhand one but it will need a contract.  I also don't want to pay a monthly contract for data I wont use.  What I would like is to piggy back the iphone on either my existing MIFI account or a new phone account I am willing to set up.  Is this possible and how?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks to everyone for their help.  It seems there is no good way of doing this. I only need this for six months of the year, so ifI take out a contract I shall be paying for nothing half the year.  I think PAYG is the way to go and write it off as safety equipment, like Fire extinguishers, you pay and hope they are never used.  As for roaming charges, I won't pay them unless the phone is used and then I will consider it money well spent.  I shall have to use the phone from time to time to keep the number and check that they are not taking my money but declining to provide a service till I am back in the UK.  If that happens I'll have to buy a local SIM.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to mark this solved now.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You can't have 2 SIMs on the same mobile no. if that's what you are asking. If you don't want a contract then it'll have to be PAYG topped every month you are at anchor.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Boatfreak  Just purchase a EE pre loaded data sim from Amazon.   The data will last a set period of time and you’ll have a set a each month.  

on Amazon just enter 

ee preloaded data sim

you’ll see different amounts probably a lot more than you need but it’s install it forget about it.  

Thanks for the responses.

Ok I get that I can't have two phones on 1 number.  Thats not what want, the object of the phone which is left on the boat is to be able to send the phone in my pocket an SMS to tell me that my boat has moved.  I just want to be able to use the data I have paid for on the second phone on my own phone.  I don't see why I can't have a family contract and gift myself the data.

Then you'll need 2 contracts, 1 for each phone. You can only gift data between contracts.

But why do you need data when all it's doing is sending an SMS?

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Sorry about the delay.

Well, probably don't need data, I just imagined that these days it wasn't possible to get a contract without a minimal amount of data.  The phone will communicate via WiFi with other devices on the boat, eg a dedicated GPS which will sense the movement of the boat.  I know the phone will have its own GPS but the unit on the boat is part of an Automated Identification System so is allways there and allways on anyway and is hardwired into the boats 12v supply so there is no chance of a loss of power.

So what I need is a Sim only contract with zero or minimal data and If I have to have data I can gift it to my MiFI contract.  Sorry to labour this but I've been told several times that what I want is not possible and on one occasion even illegal, but not by EE.  I was just trying to be better informed before I got into the shop !

Thank you for your time

The problem with this is if the SMS message is never activated, which I sincerely hope it isn't, the phone will be unused and before long I will find the number re-allocated, which happened to a phone I gave to my elderly father.  Ok I can remember to use one a month, but I rather not have to!

Are you willing to pay £13 or £14 pm for it? Get the cheapest of Pay Monthly SIM Only Contracts 

@Boatfreak   If you require a cheap sim only deal the issue will be the length of contract the shorter the contract term the more you’ll pay each month.    You’ll get a better deal with a 24 months compared to 12 months.  And have a look at THIS as you can get it down to £8.  Don’t forget you’ll need to purchase a roaming add on and roaming isn’t for long stays abroad.  It’s supposed to be 2 months in any 4 month period is considered a stable link to the UK after this time you could be charged roaming fees. 

Thanks to everyone for their help.  It seems there is no good way of doing this. I only need this for six months of the year, so ifI take out a contract I shall be paying for nothing half the year.  I think PAYG is the way to go and write it off as safety equipment, like Fire extinguishers, you pay and hope they are never used.  As for roaming charges, I won't pay them unless the phone is used and then I will consider it money well spent.  I shall have to use the phone from time to time to keep the number and check that they are not taking my money but declining to provide a service till I am back in the UK.  If that happens I'll have to buy a local SIM.

Thanks everyone, I'm going to mark this solved now.