cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tenda 4G680V2.0 not connecting in LTE mode

RuralRusty
Explorer

Hello,

I’m trying to test out an EE sim in a Tenda 4G680V2.0 router to see if I can get a decent 4G connection. On initially turning on, I appeared to get a signal, but no internet connection. I checked the auto mode derived APN and noted that it was a T-Mobile UK setting with IPV4/6 and PAP/CHAP configuration, so I changed this to IPV4 and PAP, as per the suggestions on this forum. This resulted in a signal detection, but no connection, and only in 3G mode. I also tried setting up an EE APN profile as per the Forum suggested settings, again I could only see a 3G signal. This is odd, as I believed that the local EE 3G signal had been turned off. Setting the modem to LTE only did not make any difference. Changing everything back to the defaults resulted in no service. This SIM works perfectly in an iPhone 6S indoors, with 2/3 bars, connecting to 4G. Unfortunately, I only have the iPhone, which does not show APN settings.

Assuming that the Tenda may have poor sensitivity, I tried it outdoors with a pair of band 3 directional antennas pointed directly at one of the local masts, which is LOS. It still won’t connect to the 4G signal, despite showing an RSRP of -78dB and SINR of +24dB and displaying the correct eNodeB ID and Cell ID for the mast (according to Cellmapper.net).

The Tenda works OK with a Three SIM, connecting to 4G over band 3 and 20, although I have to drag it up the hill and park it in a tree, due to the poor Three 4G signal (BS is non LOS, behind a small hill, a house and some trees).

Can anybody suggest any additional settings on this device that may help? I am at a loss as to how to solve this one. EE seem to be the best bet for a decent 4G signal at the house.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @RuralRusty,

Welcome to the EE Community. 🙂

Our Technical Support Team will be happy to help you get up and running if you get in touch.

James

RuralRusty
Explorer

Update (in case this might be useful to anybody):

I asked support at Tenda UK for advice, and they made some APN suggestions and provided a firmware update that has solved connection issues in the past, but to no avail, the router/SIM combination still won’t connect in 4G mode, only 3G. This is despite what I would consider a reasonable signal level. Weirdly, following a factory reset, the router correctly identifies the PLMN, enodeb and cell IDs, etc. and indicates a 4G signal/connection, but no ipv4 connection and no internet, though the auto derived APN is a t-mobile one with ipv4/ipv6 and PAP/CHAP. Changing to ipv4/PAP only makes no difference. Rebooting the router results in an auto connection to 3G, but then LTE only mode just fails completely.

The SIM is an EE replacement/upgrade for an old T-Mobile contract following the supposed 3G shut off and has a small data allowance. Could the SIM be in some way blocked from use in a 4G router? I understood that this was not allowed.

I haven’t tried EE support, I’m afraid, perhaps I should, however I’ve decided to abandon this router/SIM combination and will probably try another more up-to-date router and another SIM.

Thanks.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for the update, @RuralRusty. I'm sorry to read that you haven't found a solution. It may be worth having a chat with our technical support team before giving up. Hopefully they can help.
Chris