cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Excessive data usage in just 12 hours?!!

PaulRo
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am also experiencing unexplained high data usage.  And I have also just upgraded to a new higher data contract.  Previously I would barely use 6gb per month, whereas I have apparently used a massive 7GB in the past 24 hours.   The EE app and website is saying I've used 10.3GB since the beginning of the month.  I work from home on the WiFi and have not been out over the past couple of days.    It's super reliable high speed WiFi and never drops.  

25 REPLIES 25
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @PaulRo 

Thanks for coming here. 

Which device are you using? 

Have you had any software updates recently?

Leanne.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

Most phones have an inbuilt data counter that will itemise your data usage app-by-app.

Most "what have I used my data on" queries have their answer in this menu.

Yes I looked at that, and that's where things don't make sense.   The total says I've used 10.17GB and I can see a massive spike in the usage graph (see photo), but in the app-by-app usage I've added up ALL of the itemised breakdowns and it comes to a total of 2722MB, so just 2.7GB, which is more like the sort of usage I would expect.  

PhoneDataUsage.png

It's a Google Pixel 6, Android 13.  And no hasn't had any software updates recently.  The photo in my reply to @bristolian below shows the spike in the usage over the past 24 hours.  And describes something strange where the itemised app data usage only sums up to 2.7GB, nowhere near the 10.17GB I've apparently used.

PaulRo
Investigator
Investigator

I've got the same problem.  Sudden unexplained spike even though I've been at home connected to my WiFi.  Usage screen says I've used 10.17GB but app by app usage only adds up to 2.7GB.

PhoneDataUsage.png

Did you get anywhere with a resolution?

PaulRo
Investigator
Investigator

@Leanne_T some more information.  I've only experienced this unexplained high data usage since upgrading my EE contract a couple of weeks ago. 

I've checked the history of data usage from my phone and as you can see my usage for the previous few months is flat.  But for the end of June/start of July it jumps up.  And this jump seems to tie in with the contract renewal on the 30th June.

UsageApr.png  UsageMay.png  UsageJun.png

Christopher_G

Hi @PaulRo 

I recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team so they can look into this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

Christopher_G

Hi @PaulRo 

I recommend speaking to our Mobile Care team so they can look into this for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Chris

JF41
Investigator
Investigator

Well, mine doing same this month, yet I have used my phone less, I don’t do games  or many calls, in fact this month been very quite and my Data almost gone.  I getting a bit concerned now about EE.