cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Data on Vivo X51 Pro after switching to EE (sim only) from O2

Agrim
Contributor
Contributor

Recently switched SIM plan from O2 to EE, the number was ported after 48 hours of activating the EE SIM. I can make calls, but cannot get mobile data.

I have tried reconfiguring the APN and restarting the handset, but no luck. EE have also replaced the SIM, but again no luck. The SIM does however work when tried on a different handset (both data and calls were fine).

Has anyone had a similar issue? I'd really appreciate some advice, because everyone at EE seems to have run out of ideas...

p.s. I've checked my ee account and there are no limits on data allowance/parental controls etc...

26 REPLIES 26

Thanks for clarifying. Here are my internet APN settings in full. Have tried resetting and on both 4G and 5G, no luck unfortunately:

Screenshot_20211219_212847.jpg

Screenshot_20211219_212854.jpg

I still cannot get mobile data.

EE technical support haven't been any use despite 3 phone calls and a visit to the local store. Their suggestion? Cancel the contract. It's incredibly disappointing.

My SIM works in a different 5G handset. A friend's 5G EE SIM works in my handset. But my 5G SIM doesn't work in my handset... What is going on?

The phone has had a hard reset as well as a network reset and I have repeatedly tried the suggestions listed here with no success.

As a last resort, I asked the tech support to check the SIM porting, but was rejected out of hand and told to cancel my contract. No solution.

@Agrim  If a friends EE sim works in your device and yours doesn’t then you could try requesting a replacement SIM card.   You have nothing to lose by trying.  

This is a great point. Unfortunately I have already replaced my SIM card and the issue persists.

@Agrim Your phone is clearly setup correctly as your friends sim works.  You’ve replaced your sim and it still doesn’t work.  

To try resolve this without a hands now is all most impossible.    

But can you try your sim in the other sim slot as that’s a dual sim device. 

Yup, tried this too. I've been switching and resetting repeatedly today with no luck.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Agrim ,

As you seem to be near the end of the road with this device anyway, I would recommend to try authentication None as this works in the Netgear MR1100, and separately APN type of Internet purely to see if it is similarly broken.

Sounds like there is some weird gremlin.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

Thanks for your support.

I tried your suggestion and it didn't work.

I'm at the end of the road with EE, not the phone. It worked on O2, and it works with other EE SIMs.

Conversely EE have refused to escalate my issue despite when asked. They have also refused to review the porting when asked.

Two of their staff told me they have seen this issue before on a number of occasions, but no solution has been forthcoming.

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @Agrim ,

I completely understand that the finger would be pointed at EE and specifically the two SIMs provided to you.

I also fully understand that you probably have no further appetite for debugging but wanted to record on this thread that one further test would be to try the problematic SIM in a different Vivo X51 Pro. I'm sure this will have occurred to many people but from a scientific perspective, I think it's needed to say definitively that EE is at fault rather than that one single device containing a gremlin of a peculiar type.

If the same problem presents with two different Vivo X51 Pro, that would be interesting but at some point one must cut one's losses and for EE that appears to have happened at quite an early point. I think it's quite rare to see such an honest throwing up of hands by a service provider.

Hope you manage to work out something which functions well for you. Many issues become obvious when the root cause is revealed and once the root cause is known, we usually have a problem thinking back to the confusion of before we found the answer. (Presumably there is something different between your friend's EE SIM and your EE SIM but discovering that difference could be extremely laborious and tedious.)

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net

UPDATE:

So, there was nothing wrong with my handset.

There is however an issue with new EE SIM cards (serial numbers beginning "36").

I switched to an older EE SIM card with a serial number NOT beginning with "36" and now my phone works fine.

Three members of EE staff admitted to me that EE are aware of this problem. It appears the company are not openly, or officially, acknowledging the issue - which is absolutely ridiculous.

Hopefully this post helps others, because my repeated calls to 150 and shop visits weren't much use.