Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile hotspot not working

JHCC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone. 

I'm having a problem with my mobile hotspot. The Internet on my phone works fine, however when I switch on mobile hotspot to use with my laptop neither the hotspot or mobile data works anymore, won't load pages ect on both devices. When I switch off mobile hotspot again, my mobile data on my phone works fine. 

I'm on unlimited all rounder plan and my data use reset seven days ago. I've never managed to exceed the limit if there is one for mobile hotspot even when downloading 100gb games in the past, though this isn't something I have done recently. 

I've also tried resetting both devices but the problem ppersists. Anyone know a possible cause and solution? 

My mobile device is a Samsung s23 ultra. Thanks for any help in advance! 

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Well done, presumably, replicating this to identify a pattern.

Does this happen in multiple locations? Helps eliminate a local coverage issue.

Hi, thank you for the reply. 

So the issue is still persisting, in that turning on mobile hotspot effectively disconnects me from the Internet on both my mobile and laptop. 

I did take the devices elsewhere and the issue persists in other locations. I'm pretty sure the issue is with my phone but I also opened command prompt on my laptop and flushed dns and several other commands. Service status in my area also says everything is okay. 

I'm not too sure what else to try, I'm not incredibly tech savvy so any help from anyone is welcome! 

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Do you see the same issue if you connect a different device to your hotspot @JHCC?

James

Hi James

Yes, the same problems exists if I also connect to my PS5 via mobile hotspot. It shows that I am connected but I can't access anything online either on the console or my mobile. Mobile functionality resumes as normal when the hotspot is switched off. 

It's a weird one! 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JHCC 

Thanks for trying, this will need to be looked into further for you. 

Please call us on 150 and the team will run through some troubleshooting and let you know what is needed 🙂

Let me know how you get on. 

Leanne.

Hi Leanne

Unfortunately I'm unable to call as I have a disability that affects my speech so I can't be understood over the phone, and I was informed this type of issue is no longer supported over Web chat by an advisor. 

Unfortunately the issue is still persisting, I also noticed a software update that is due cannot be downloaded.

I'm struggling to find any more solutions online that I could try so I'm not sure what to do at this point as I can't complete any work (my laptop is required for this).

I have a over a year left on this contract but without being able to work, I won't be able to pay for it, especially if I lose my job due to my work not being completed. Beginning to feel a bit worried. 

bristolian
Legend
Legend

You could try a factory reset, after backing up all your personal data.

That would rule out a software issue.