cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working - iPhone

Kath_E
Investigator
Investigator

I have an iPhone 8 Plus. Almost all of my apps don’t work properly and emails won’t load when I switch from wifi to 4g. The network coverage in my area is apparently fine, I have tried all the usual hacks like restarting the phone, switching wifi / mobile data / Airplane mode on and off, resetting network settings etc. When I try to use mobile data in various apps I get a message saying that my phone is not connected. Messages will come through on WhatsApp hours late / not send for hours. I have been stuck out late at night and not been able to use a taxi app to get home safely. The phone seems to work fine for (non-wifi) calls though and interestingly mobile data seems to work when overseas on roaming. Therefore sounds like a local network issue / connection issue. I’m basically paying a fortune for a business plan for a phone that only works when I’m at home / the office on the wifi! 

5 REPLIES 5
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @Kath_E 

Are you on PAYG or pay-monthly? And have you checked (by sending AL or BALANCE to 150) that you have available allowance?

Have you used mobile data on this device previously, or has it never worked?

Do other EE users in these same locations have similar problems? If there's a network issue, it would affect all users.

Hi

I’m on a monthly plan with loads of data so it shouldn’t be that. It’s also been like this at various times of the month and in all locations 😞

Instinctively, I'm minded towards this being a device fault.

Do other EE users in these same locations have similar problems? If there's a network issue, it would affect all users.

If you know any friends or family who use EE, I'd suggest comparing service with their phones next.

Thanks again.

You could be right, maybe it’s a device issue. But it’s just a bit strange that it works overseas on roaming on other networks fine.

Just in case this might help other users, it appears that the problem may have been that I had a security app (McAfee) with an additional VPN installed. The mobile data seems to work fine once the app has been deleted. Not the ideal fix however as obviously the intention of having an additional VPN is increased security…