cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data after switching networks

Theo471
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there. Just switched my mobile to EE from BT, a couple of days ago. Had a text from BT to say the number had ported and as far as they are concerned they don’t have anything to do with the account anymore. 

since the switch, haven’t been able to use mobile data, only wifi. Can make and receive calls. The phone shows the 4G symbol but all apps (including the EE app!) can’t connect to the internet using data. I saw another answer about going to settings and checking profile but I don’t have that on my iphone7. 

any help greatly appreciated 

thanks

15 REPLIES 15
EssexBoyEE
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Could be your Phone is set to an older type BT APN, The newer EE Settings work on BT but not always the other way around.

If the Phone lets you try this -

From Settings go to Cellular, check Cellular Data is turned On, Tap Cellular Data Options, then Cellular Data Network, go to Cellular Data

APN: everywhere

User: leave Blank

Password: leave Blank.

thanks @EssexBoyEE ,

Mobile / cellular data is turned on, but in mobile/ cellular data options, I don't see Cellular data network and the other options that ypu mention.

Under mobile/cellualr data options, I see the following: 

- data roming (currently off)

- voice & data = 4G 9with an option to select 3G)

- low data mode (currently off)

- Limit IP address tracking (currently on).

am I missing something? Thanks for your help

If you cant see the settings it means the Phone Settings are locked down by the Network.

my money is on that the APN is set to BT (btmobile,bt.com) rather than the EEs (everywhere) that is causing the issue, just need to find a way to solve this somehow when your settings are locked.

Was the iPhone also Sim Network Locked to BT, unlikely, but you could try another Network Sim in there other than EE, ie Vodafone, O2, Three, just to check, and then see if you get an Over the Air Internet Settings sent to your phone, then the thoery is do a restart and put the EE Sim back in and see if you get another OTA Settings sent out, worth a try.

Hi All,

I just spoke with the a technical advisor at EE customer care and they helped me to find the solution, so I thought I would share it here incase it helps anyone else in the future: 

on my iPhone, went to: Settings>General>VPN & Device management - in this section was the profile from my previous network (BT), deleted that and now mobile data is working.

Thank you all for your advice, great community here. 

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know @Theo47

I'm sure this will be very helpful for other people having the same problem 🙂

Leanne. 

ref switching off data on my EE phone (that is really BT) here is their reply

"I can see you have opted out of marketing preferences, you will still continue to receive service-related messages such as order confirmations, billing or service updates, and confirmations of products or services such as data add-ons and packs.

What else you need to know

Marketing preferences are personalised offers and recommendations based on how you use our services for example the different types of sites you’re interested in, where you are and when you use our services and the device you are using. I can confirm you have opted out of this.

My colleague Gillian did advise it may be possible that these are automatically generated texts sent if your phone is trying to access data. If this is the case to stop them please to turn the mobile data feature off, this may stop the data texts from coming through."

I might have opted out but I will still receive automatically generated texts as well as info from BT

Have nice day