Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotspotting

Kingdom7
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

I have just got an unlimited data SIM plan. Very happy with it. Except one thing.

I just got a text saying I’ve used 80% of my gifting data? I tether to my laptop at work. This was never an issue when I was with Virgin. 

Is there any ways for unlimited hotspotting? I can’t believe I am even asking. I thought this would be standard. If I’d known this was the case, I’d stayed with Virgin.

14 REPLIES 14
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Kingdom7  Your only being told you’ve used the first 80% of data data that you can gift.   

with a unlimited tariff you can only gift from the first 120Gb of a 5G tariff and you’ve used 80% of that 120Gb. 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

It's only talking about data that you may potentially gift from the 1st 100GB of all your data to other nos. on your a/c if you choose to. It's just a warning just in case you wanted to. You may safely ignore it & carry on using data for your own purposes including hotspotting.

As you use data for your own use you are eating into this gifting allowance even when you are not actually gifting it.

Notice that it didn't say "You've gifted data you can gift" just that "You've used data you may gift".

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Kingdom7
Contributor
Contributor

What happens if I reach 100? Will I be charged more or does it simply stop working?

Thanks guys!

You won't be able to gift any data to other users on your a/c but you yourself may carry on hotspotting. There won't be any extra charges.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I’m sorry. I don’t understand. I don’t gift anything that I am aware of. I’m the only person on my account. All I have been doing is hotspotting my laptop when I got the text. Is there a difference between gifting and hotspotting?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kingdom7,

Yes, gifting is when you transfer data from one plan on your account to another. This does not affect your ability to use your phone as a hotspot.

Hope this helps.

James

But I don’t have another account on my plan? Just the one SIM. I got the text when hotspotting to my laptop.

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Kingdom7,

Don't worry this is just an automated text, unrelated to using your phone as a hotspot.

With unlimited plans, you can only gift data from your first 120GB of total data usage. As you don't use the data gifting service, you can ignore the message.

James

Yes, gifting is assigning data to others on your MyEE a/c. As you don't have any others you won't be gifting data to anyone. However the amount of data reserved for gifting on your unlimited data plan, whether you gift it or not, is the 1st 100GB of all your data for the month. As you use your data during the month, by direct use or hotspotting, you are consuming some & eventually all of this 1st 100GB of all your data for the month. That is all that text is warning you about, that by using your data ordinarily that the amount you may gift, should you choose to, is reducing all the time. It won't know that that you aren't planning to gift anything.