cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data usage

JeffRice
Investigator
Investigator

For the last few days, I've been connected to WiFi with mobile data turned off. This should mean that my available mobile data should not change. However, the amount of available data keeps going down. As I say, mobile data is turned off. 

I did have a zoom call last week, which I expected to use around 1GB. 

My thinking is, that the data used from the zoom call is being taken off in chunks, over several days, rather than all at once. Is that how it works? 

If not, why is my data depleting when I'm not even using it?

Thanks in advance, Jeff. 

7 REPLIES 7
bristolian
Legend
Legend

With the counting cycle on your phone's data counter synched with your billing period, does the data consumption tally with that of your account?

I'm not sure I understand your reply.

Could you explain in more detail?

Thanks
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Android & Apple phones have a data counter facility in their menus, which you can synch with your billing period in order that both your phone and account are both counting data - the figures should broadly tally.

Do they?

Lesley1958
Contributor
Contributor

This has happened to me 3 times with BT mobile which uses EE Network. On the 2nd & 3rd occasions my data was 100% switched off and they say I've used 5gb each time on You Tube. It got sent to executive complaints who could only tell me that on the 3rd occasion it says I connected to data at 12.50 am until 12 noon following day, which they agreed was unlikely but suggested it could be my phone so I've purchased a new phone. I did draw to there attention the amount of users on both BT & EE community forum raising  the same issue, but as far as I'm aware this has not been investigated. I have seen a post on this thread where the user was told by EE community support that there was an issue whereby you tube was consuming double or more data and the user was given the data back. I'm waiting to have that corroborated before I got back to BT. They have one last chance to sort it, if not I'm moving providers.

Thanks Lesley, 

If it keeps happening, I'm going to change providers. 

Hi there,

I've found the data use for individual apps on my phone. None of them match the massive data use.

However - I didn't mention that I used the hotspot function to connect my laptop to my phone - using most of the same apps as on my phone. The zoom meeting I had on my laptop, via my phone, should still have used only 1GB, maximum. No? Not the 4GB it 'seemed' to use, spread over a few days. 

The connection of my laptop via hotspot never normally uses that much data. 

So what's going on?

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @JeffRice 

If you get in touch with our customer care team on 150, they will get the data looked into for you and give you some further details on the data usage. 

Leanne.