cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Zapped, why?

Plushbadger
Investigator
Investigator

Hi, i’ve had 5gb data plans on Sim only for many years now and usually use around 1-2 gb per month. Having had to transfer from Plusnet to EE (they all one now) I've been with EE for 19 days and now get a text to say all data used. I literally haven’t used the phone any differently from how i’ve always used it. It’s impossible to see a breakdown on calls or usage like I used to with Plusnet, the app just says ‘oops, theres a problem our end not yours, try again later’, its always been the same so pretty useless. Im using an iPhone 11 and turned wi-fi assist off. The 80% used text came through at 1.30 am and the 100% text at 5.30, i was asleep and not using any data ! I assume as im out of plan now I have no phone or texts either so stuck for 11 more days without anything. 

Does anyone have any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Plushbadger   Data has nothing to do with calls/texts.   If your device is setup to use data in the background it’ll use data even if you’re not using the device.  Go to settings>general>data background app refresh  from there you can change what apps work in the background.  You can set it to Wi-Fi only, Wi-Fi and cellular or off.  You can even choose what apps work in the background depending on what you choose to allow them to work in the background 

@Chris_B Thanks, sound advice, I usually leave most off, have checked in case and literally I still only have 1 app using background app refresh. The ability to not be able to view data usage, or call records is bad though, Three and Plusnet have had that feature for ever.

Im really not impressed with EE, its been a battle all along. 

@Plushbadger   Your device shows what apps have used what amount of data.  It’s under Settings>mobile data and just scroll down.   If you’ve never reset this I’ll show how much data you’ve used since you had the device.