cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE 5G ROUTER SPEED TO SLOW AS COMPARE TO 5G MOBILE

XZAFEE
Contributor
Contributor

I have 2 contract with EE, Mobile contract and EE 5G Router. I am getting only 20MBPS speed on 5GE router  while on mobile i am getting up to 70MBPS speed. I had a chat with EE and they told me , that could be a issue with your both sim. They send me both new sim but the issue still there. on same location 5G Router giving me only 20MBPS while mobile up to 70MBPS. I even change the router around 5 time as I was getting multiple issues with router. I confirm with EE, if there is any speed cap on my account and i been told that no speed cap on your account. This is really strange issue. I am a IT professional so i have much knowledge for troubleshooting. Even I put back router  to 4G but issue still there. EE playing around by giving you some stupid suggestion. EE is using zyxl  company Router and they put their own firmware which is locked, so you cannot even upgrade. 

For my best suggestion, its time to leave this organization. how come both 5G devices give you different speed on same location.

14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Is the router SIM on contract or PAYG/pre-paid?

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Contract.

Chris_B
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@XZAFEE   when you say the same location, do you mean in the same room ?  and is your router placed near a electrical appliance like a television ?     And have you tried putting your phone Sim card into the router and your router Sim card into your phone and tested the network speeds?  

And are you testing your router speed via Wi-Fi or wired connection ?   

Nothing near to router. i move router and phone multiple location. Mobile contract speed is around 60 MBPs while rother only 15MBPS or even less. I am sure they put speed cap on router sim. They just playing around. When I called I been told there're  plan engineer work on my location.  Absolute rubbish customer service. Both sim with same network on same location and speed is different and they are telling me " engineer work".

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@XZAFEE wrote:

I am sure they put speed cap on router sim. 

If that were the case then putting phone SIM in router, as sensibly suggested by @Chris_B , would remove that cap.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

You will be surprised what I done.  I put my mobile sim in router and router sim in  phone. Router sim get block while mobile sim working fine in router. After that I have  reset the router to default. I also keep the same default WIFI password  and default WIFI ID. once i change different  WIFI id and password, speed goes back to 15MBPS. This is really strange.  Anyways  I am waiting for router sim to see what outcome come. I also asked EE, not to put any Speed cap on it, otherwise , I will leave my business contract.

XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

Not really, it was suggested to you last week. The surprise is that it is impossible for the router's SSID & pwd to affect its speeds. However what will affect its speed will be which WiFi band, 2.4 or 5 GHz, you connect to.

Hi. I have exactly the same issue, with an ZTE 5g router. For a long while, I used to get better speed on the router compared to my phone, but in the last few months, on the router I only get half the speed I get on the phone. I switched the sim cards around and the same: on the phone I get 600 mbps and on the router close to 300 mbps. SO, if I got it right, you're saying that after resetting the router and not changing ID/ password, you get the same speed as you get on the phone? Sounds weird, but I'm ready to try anything at this point as it's driving me crazy, specially knowing that my router used to get really good speeds.

P.S. EE sent me a new SIM card already, but no difference

wahoo,

you need to check your router support after 300MBPS

--

Best Regards,