cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over charged

paigestewartxx3
Explorer

My phone contract ended in July 2021, however I have still been charged the full amount for the hand set and Data since then. Customer service team are absolutely useless, basically telling me it’s my fault for not getting in touch and the money I have been over charged is just gone. However am sure if I had missed a payment a member of your team would have contacted me in regards to this.

shocking service will definitely not be using EE in the future.

8 REPLIES 8
bristolian
Legend
Legend

Hi @paigestewartxx3 

By means of terminology, what you've been advised by EE C/S appears to be entirely correct.

EE have no concept of paying off your device, and mobile contracts don't arbitrarily end. What you have is an ongoing contract for a fixed monthly fee which continues until a change is made.

Once the minimum term of (usually) 24 months expires, you are free to disconnect, move to SIM-only, or upgrade to a new device.

If you do none of these, there is no change and your account has continued as normal at the same price. Some operators separate out the device & airtime into separate contracts, but these are not always 2year terms.

Why wasn’t I contacted by anyone from EE to make me aware the contract had ended? 

in terms of customer service, your service is appalling. 

over £300 I have been over charged it is absolutely ridiculous that you find that acceptable. 

Your contract hadn't ended. It is carrying on as was already agreed in the contract. All that happened was just the min. term expired & that's written into the contract. Therefore EE had now reason to contact or inform you. There will however be a 10% discount after 3 months.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

We're not EE staff, merely customers like yourself - although the points made are ones that any EE C/S rep would potentially make.

You can check your minimum-term dates anytime using your myEE online portal or mobile-app.

There is some information on EE's end-of-contract communications on this EE help page 

mikeliuk
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

Hi @paigestewartxx3 ,

From one customer to another, I'm very sad to hear of the bad customer experience you have had. I wouldn't want myself or friends and family to unnecessarily pay an additional GBP 300 over what would have been achievable in hindsight as it leaves a bad taste in the mouth and one looks more unfavourably on EE in terms of ethics and fair dealing between a highly knowledgeable party and a less knowledgeable party.

You may wish to review the two links below to put things into context.

Your main hope of redress would be if EE has failed to do one of the things it has committed to Ofcom that it would do so that you could request a refund of some proportion of GBP 300 as a gesture of goodwill.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mobile-phone-contract-payments-providers-bundle-han...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/new-measures-fairness-for-mobi...

New transparency rules. Under the new EU rules, which must be implemented by the end of next year, mobile customers entering into a bundled contract will be told the cost of buying the handset and airtime separately. We want to introduce this for UK customers as quickly as possible, and will set out our plans in the coming months.

Mobile bills reduced

Finally, we have also challenged industry to take action. Today we are announcing commitments from a number of the UK’s biggest mobile companies to reduce customers’ bills.

• Virgin Mobile will move its out-of-contract customers to the equivalent 30-day SIM-only deal.
  • Tesco Mobile will reduce the monthly charges of out-of-contract customers who are overpaying to the best available airtime tariff.
  • O2 will reduce the monthly price of its out-of-contract customers to the equivalent 30-day SIM-only deal. This will apply to its direct customers only, but O2 will discuss options for customers who take out O2 contracts with third-party retailers.
  • Vodafone and EE will reduce their prices for customers out of contract for more than three months. Both companies will confirm the level of this discount before the end of the year. We expect their discount to take into account the level of savings available if customers switched to a comparable SIM-only tariff.

Three is the only major provider that has refused to apply any discount to its out-of-contract customers. As a result, these customers will continue to overpay and will not receive similar protections if they stay on their current deal.

All of the discounts will come into effect by February 2020.

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/managing-and-using-my-account/leaving-ee/end-of-contract-notification...

When will I get an end of contract notification?

We’ll send you a reminder at least 14 days before your contract ends.

We’ll also tell you what offers, deals and tariffs are available, which are based on your data usage and current price plan.

What are Annual Best Tariff Notifications?

We send Annual Best Tariff Notifications if you've been out of your original contract for at least 12 months and haven’t already made changes or upgraded your original tariff.

The notification reccomends a new standard plan and tarrifs tailoired to your needs. The reccomendation is based on your personal usage.

You'll get a notification 12 months after your original contract ended.  

What is the Out of Contract discount?

Most customers contact us before going out of contract but there will always be a few who don’t and this could result in missing out on good deals.

We want to make sure we provide a fair deal to all customers. If you previously took out a handset with us as part of your original deal and you’ve been out of contract with us for 3 months, we’II offer you a 10% discount, on top of all other discounts like Friends and Family.

-- 
Contract SIM: Plan | Data | Usage | Check Status | Abroad | Chat | SMS | APN | PM
Wired: Check Speed | Test Socket | Faults | fast.com | speedtest.net
Jdteck2022
Visitor

Honestly EE is probably 100% the worst for getting intouch with customer service , the onlyreason this numberbisbbeingvkept if for 2fas, EE is a joke no doubt about it there deals with companies for unlimeted mins for 20£ a month EE umis Crazy **bleep** loads of money and a poxy communitty so they dont have to deal with Customer Servuce i have never spoken to an EE agent ever!! And in the shops i cant says much better!! **bleep** EE!!!

coumbasamb
Visitor

this exact thing happened to me ! they charged me over £300 and when I called to say this is messed up and need a refund, I was called stupid. They know exactly what theyre doing and its terrible. Never giving my money to EE and will make sure everyone I know doesnt either. 

EEEEEEEEEE
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Contact your bank, they may sort it out for you. It is typically poor service from EE.