cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options after missing 14 day cooling off period

Mattfoxx09
Explorer

Good Afternoon everyone

I recently upgraded my contract (been a customer for a number of years) to the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5

Basically due to ongoing health issues I missed the 14 day return window, which I understand is my fault

Basically the phone is great but firstly I don't even use the inner screen and secondly because of its bulk and weight and the fact I'm hypermobile I'm actually seeing damage to my fingers, which I again know is my fault for not checking the weight

I decided to do a chat to see if there was any options and the advisor told me to just sell on a 3rd party site but as you can imagine that's a huge loss and probably not enough for a similar phone that's not foldable

Do I have any options? I fully understand it was my responsibility to return within 14 days, but it's a shame EE don't have a bit more of a understanding or flexibility for certain situations. 

I just really can't use this foldable as intended which sucks because I love Samsung phones

I feel like I will have no choice but to either sell or just not use the phone much I don't know ... Pretty sad about being stuck for 2 years

6 REPLIES 6
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

There are regulations in place and you missed that.

It's you who chose to buy a phone not suitable for your needs and failed to return it within the 14 day period.

There is nothing EE can and will do because if they allow it for you they might as well have an open policy on returning phones whenever people want to.

I myself have the fold 2 and after about 6 months I stopped using the inside. Tomorrow I'm upgrading to the Pixel 8 Pro I won't go back to Samsung after many years with Samsung as their technology has stagnated and their prices have rocketed.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

I assumed someone would immediately say this, which is why I literally wrote a handful of times that I know it's my fault! I can't be any clearer that I didn't return within the window and that wasn't on EE

But why not reach out just in case there's an option? 

If I'm stuck paying for this phone for 2 years, I'm going to try every avenue to swap or sell or return, whatever I can, to have a phone I can actually hold

Some of us don't have the options of multiple phones just laying around 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@Mattfoxx09 wrote:

the advisor told me to just sell on a 3rd party site

Bad, wrong & unlawful advice! EE own the device for the 1st6 months during which you can't sell it.

Your choices are to continue paying for it for the full term or cancel it now & pay early termination charges of nearly as much.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

I don't have the option of having 2npgojes lying around that's why I never tried to replace my Fold 2 after 6 months.

What did me was the screen on the front is so thin the keyboard letters are too close.

End of the day though you can sell the device.

I take it you are on the flex pay tariffs. I'm unsure if these terms state that EE still own the device for first 6 months or not but I know the old conventional plans stated this.

Maybe @James_B  could enlighten us on that policy is still enforced on the new Flexi plan tariffs.

Why would EE reach out to you before 14 days at up. The amount of phones they sell daily means they won't have the man power to make several phone calls to make sure customers are happy with the device. End of the day stores have then to hold in store and look at.

I always look at them in stores regardless of network before purchasing online.

Tomorrow will be my first time in many years getting my new phone from a store then I won't have the 14 day cooling off period as that doesn't apply to store purchases.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @BrendonH,

No, that policy doesn't apply to Flex Pay purchases.

James

bristolian
Legend
Legend

There is no specific reference in FlexPay documentation that I can find, referring to 6month resales. It all refers to the finance.