cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cooling off

Smewy
Explorer

Hi, I’ve recently renewed my EE phone contract at an EE shop within last 7 days - a new phone on 2 year contract. There has been a change of circumstances with me and so don’t need the phone contract. I’m being told by the shop staff that they can’t help me, as there is no 14 day cooling off period. Is this correct?

5 REPLIES 5
BrendonH
Community Hero
Community Hero

This is correct, there is no cooling off period from buying in store due to you are able to see the item befoehand.

The cooling off period is from purchasing online or over the phone as this is part of the distance selling act.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below

Thanks, that’s what I was told. Does seem strange that you enter into a new contract with financial terms and the Consumer Credit Act or Unfair Contract Terms Act  don’t apply. 

I'm sorry but you entered it and signed all the paperwork with your own mind etc. This isn't an EE issue this is not unique to EE.

Where does it state in any of those acts you can cancel? 

You need to read things before signing as it would have stated in the T&Cs that you were unable to cancel if purchasing instore. And YOU SIGNED THAT.

BrendonH (Android Expert) Google Pixel 8 Pro Obsidian Black (Android 14)
If I have helped please click the THUMB/SOLUTION buttons below
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Smewy 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

For full details on the returns policy please see our Returning a Phone or Device Within 14 Days Help page. 

Thanks 🙂

Leanne.

The Consumer Credit Act & Unfair Contract Terms Act  do apply but all you've done is change your mind. It's the Consumer Contracts Regulations that legislates for the statutory cooling-off period.. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)