cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant control homeassistant with new ee hub

mebrew
Investigator
Investigator

I have just moved from Plusnet to EE. With PN all my smart devices worked perfectly using home assistant. Now I have an EE router nothing will work. Even my nest thermostat is unresponsive. Anyone have any ideas/solutions, please.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I have managed to work it out. I have done a clean install of home assistant and added each device one at a time. Al is OK now . Thanks for your input. Much appreciarted.

Mebrew

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Hi there @mebrew 

Thanks for coming to the community. 

Which EE router do you have? 

Can you connect any other devices to the router? 

Leanne.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Try on the Advanced > Wireless Settings page to temporarily disable the 5 GHz WiFi band & move off the Smart channel while connecting problematic 2.4 GHz devices.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@mebrew- are you able to provide some more information about how you have things configured (both before and after), what you are using to control Home Assistant, and whether or not Home Assistant provides any clues as to what's wrong when you log into it?

Doesn't help your situation, but I use Home Assistant to control various smart devices around my own house and have no issues at all when using it with an EE Smart Hub Plus.

Hello,

I took delivery of my hub last weekend. I tried to connect my home assistant and associated devices ( including lights sonoff devices flashed with Tasmota. Also smart sockets and my nest Thermostat. All worked normally until I took delivery of the EE router. I got an EE engineer out and he said the router was working normally and he had n knowledge of home automation so he could not help.

I also have a couple of Sonoffs that ran ewe link but they also stopped responding.

Today, I have, on advice from another member, switched off the 5 gHz side of the router but that has made no difference. So I reinstated it and rebooted the device back to factory settings. Now nothing works. The router says it is online but I can’t get any web pages to open.; SoI tried to see what the connection speed was. I open the broadband speed test page, selected the “Test My Speed” but ant it takes me to a page not found.

I am tearing my hair out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mebrew
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

The speedtest link in the Hub Manager is broken, so that's not you.

I'm still struggling to understand how your home network is configured? It sounds like there are some complexities that might be conflating things.

How have you reconnected your existing devices to the EE hub? Did you go round them all changing their Wi-Fi credentials, or have you done something else like change the SSID/password on the EE hub to match what you were using with Plusnet? Are you using any additional extenders, Powerline adapters or any other non-default networking equipment? What are you using to access Home Assistant and what is Home Assistant telling you? Have you tried going back to basics, disconnecting everything, factory resetting the EE hub, and connecting things one by one, checking each step of the way?

What hub were you using with Plusnet? Another option might be to reconfigure the Plusnet hub to use your EE broadband login credentials and see if that works.

Hi ref your last item. That was my idea. But the ee broadband password is hidden “ for security purposes”. So I can’t reconfigure the PN router.

I will down all my home devices and see if that makes any difference.

When the router was first installed all I did was disconnect one and install the other, thinking that one BT device is much like any other. - but no.

Regards

The EE BB PPPoE Username/pwd is the same as BT's: bthomehub@btbroadband.com /BT or blank

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@mebrew wrote:
When the router was first installed all I did was disconnect one and install the other, thinking that one BT device is much like any other. - but no.

Out of the box, the Wi-Fi credentials are going to be different with the EE hub, so some re-configuration is going to be required at your side to get your wireless devices reconnected.

The easiest option would be to log into the EE Hub Manager and change the Wi-Fi username/password (Advanced Settings > Wireless) to match the details of your old Plusnet router.

If you want to go the other route (reconfiguring the Plusnet router), then as @XRaySpeX has advised, you can use the credentials from the help page I linked to.

I have managed to work it out. I have done a clean install of home assistant and added each device one at a time. Al is OK now . Thanks for your input. Much appreciarted.

Mebrew