cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the maximum EE speed to my home lower than my incumbent BT package?

kpsandwiches
Investigator
Investigator

Had a call with BT today ahead of a contract expiry to see what the best options were for renewal, and I'm being migrated to another package on EE. In principle I'm fine with this. However, upon further exploration it looks as though I'm downgrading from a Fibre 100 package to what they're calling 'Fibre 67 Essentials'.

On the former, I regularly get upwards of 120mbps but my new contract seems to suggest I could now get roughly half these speeds. Curiously, the website suggests it's the best speed / package available in my area. I'm confused by why this would be the case if BT have been serving the Fibre 100 without any issues.

Can anyone advise? Should I be rethinking this change before my 14-day grace period is up?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@kpsandwiches   the table confirms what I was trying to explain in my first post - your service was G Fast, but moving to a new supplier that is no longer available, hence EE can only offer VDSL - and up to 80 Mbps/Fibre 67.

As you say, no full fibre available yet.

The only good news should be your new lower speed contract should be cheaper than an out of contract G Fast with BT..

HTH

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@kpsandwiches Are you currently on the BT Full Fibre 100 package with fttp connection to your home?

Thanks for the response. It's just titled vanilla 'Fibre 100' and I don't see any reference to FTTP.

Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@kpsandwiches  from what you have said it appears you are on a legacy G Fast product.

However the new contract is VDSL which has a maximum speed of 80Mbps. I believe G Fast is no longer available on new contracts.

Unless full fibre is available in your area, staying with the legacy product will give you the best speeds.

HTH

Thank you. G Fast and VDSL aren't terms I'm familiar with but I gather from your post that - if having the same speed is my priority - sticking with the BT product is the best option?

I do recall seeing a notice somewhere on the sales journey / follow-up check that there would be a "free" 😒 upgrade to a full fibre package when it becomes available. Guess that could be anytime between now and infinity.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@kpsandwiches Where the current Router from BT plugs into, if it is a master socket it will be marked as G Fast on it, EE would drop you to the VDSL2 version of that at max speed of 80Mb/s so around the Essential 67 version, Stay with BT if you are happy....

@kpsandwiches   you can find out more info from the BT DSL checker = post the results, but hide your number or address. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Openreach do have a schedule when they plan to install Full Fibre on their website. Other options may also be available in your area.

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@kpsandwiches The broadband checker link, will tell you if it is available now, or if you have seen them about recently working hard to get FTTP to your area, but correct, can be anytime, anywhere and anyhow...

1000014675.png

Mostly hieroglyphics to me but may be useful for others. Clearly says full fibre not an option anyway, just found it strange the cap would be lower on the same line. Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for your advice 🙂