cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mesh wifi with EE

benjih1
Explorer

Hi folks. First time post on here - hoping I can get some help. 

I switched to EE fibre broadband in August last year. I have been having problems with signal in the house since I got it - which I think has been made worse by a new boiler  which was installed in the same week as I switched the wifi (I previously didn't have issues with signal with a BT smart hub, I have read boilers can interfere with wifi signal). Have tried multiple fixes including separating channels and such like) but to no avail. So I am exploring the world of mesh wifi. I have read a lot of posts on these forms but have a few questions I hope can get answered. For context - I don't game - but use a smart TV and need a reliable connection for working on a laptop. Max speeds EE quoted for my house were 36MBps but we typically get about 25-27MBPs - so it is super fast anyway. Just want reliable signal throughout the house. 

Questions are: 

1. I don't appear to have an ONT in the house - just standard phone ports. Do I need one of these installing, and if so - how do I go about that? 

2. If I don't have an ONT - will mesh systems still work? I have read some posts on here saying they just plugged in the mesh router into the EE smart hub and it worked straight away. Some posts say you have to plug into the ONT - which I don't have. 

3. Am I better off just trying a different router? If so - any recommendations? Again - will I need a certain type of router given I don't have an ONT. 

4. Any other recommendations for improving signal or another solution? I have tried a range extender but finding it isn't great and doesn't give great speeds. 

Thanks very much in advance! 

3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master
  1. You don't have Full Fibre (FTTP). You have EE Fibre (FTTC) over a normal landline.
  2. Should do.
  3. It's always better not to use the ISP limited supplied router. You will need a VDSL2 modem router. Asus, Billion & Netgear are well thought of.
  4. ?
If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thank you very much - that's really helpful (and sorry for the delayed response - been working nights over the weekend!) 

I have ordered a Google nest router which I got a deal on, so will see if that works plugging into my current router (and turning off wireless) - have heard this can work well and hoping the range might be better on this. This will also mean I can set up a mesh system with extra points if needed - and I am potentially moving house in the next few months so may need to set up a mesh system. 

I'll post here again if I run into any trouble 

Thank you again 

Hi Benjih1

I came across this post having had more issues with my ee broadband/ wifi these last few months...

It's been a while since you posted . I also purchased a google nest router and extender quite some time ago and it currently sits in the loft. Have you managed to get yours working? I used mine along with a Draytek Vigor 130 modem but never actually got it to work for any long periods of time. Just wondering how you're getting on with it? Did you manage to set it up without issue?

Would be interesting to know

Thank you

Bailey8378