cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to EE from BT.

gigantojim
Investigator
Investigator

Hi. I’ve just ordered EE broadband, the full fibre 900 one. I’m currently with BT.

My activation date is set for the 24th of October.

My question is when will my BT internet get switched off? Will it be seamless from one to the other, or will BT cut me off before the EE one starts, so I’ll be without internet for days or whatever?

I checked the faq’s and googled it etc but couldn’t find an answer. I’ve never done this before so I don’t know.

Thanks

James

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@gigantojim  with the older ADSL/FTTC services the losing provider would switch off the service in the early hours, the new provider would switch the service on - usually by lunchtime, but they would say anytime up to midnight.

However EE have recently aligned their broadband services a lot closer to BT, the routers even now use the same default BT username. Not sure how the FTTP change differs, but it would not surprise me if you even saw a loss of service - worse case it might be out of a few hours at most.

Let us know when the time comes.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

If you don't have Full Fibre already with BT, you will need to cancel your BT BB yourself.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

No, EE cancel it for you. I already have the same thing with BT too. It’s  just cheaper with EE and you get the WiFi 6 router.

I only wanted to know if there is a gap between when BT cut you off and when EE starts.

Christopher_G
EE Community Support Team

Hi @gigantojim 

If you speak to our Mobile Care team, they'll be able to double check this and confirm what's going to happen.

Chris

@gigantojim  with the older ADSL/FTTC services the losing provider would switch off the service in the early hours, the new provider would switch the service on - usually by lunchtime, but they would say anytime up to midnight.

However EE have recently aligned their broadband services a lot closer to BT, the routers even now use the same default BT username. Not sure how the FTTP change differs, but it would not surprise me if you even saw a loss of service - worse case it might be out of a few hours at most.

Let us know when the time comes.

Not for non-Full Fibre to Full Fibre.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Ok thanks.

gigantojim
Investigator
Investigator

Update: My internet went off on the day of connection round 00:07 for three minutes, then came back online. It worked fine with the BT router that was already plugged in. I got a message at around 05:30hrs to say the switch had happened and I just swapped the routers so I could get my WiFi 6.

The speeds I am getting are great and the new smart hub plus is a lot better than the BT smart hub 2. I am getting a good signal all over the apartment when I wasn’t with BT’s router.

I’ve noticed the WiFi controls via the app don’t work and a few other things too. I just get errors, even today. I’ve told EE about it and they just said it’s probably teething problems since there systems are pretty new. It doesn’t matter to me too much, but would be nice to have, since they are supposed to be there.

I also had to contact them about the free game pass, because it wasn’t showing on my account. They sent an email and a text with a link to get the game pass but it was a dead link, or just showed nothing when you clicked on it. It was solved in the end via tech support.

Regards

James

@gigantojim   thanks for the update and letting us know.

Hi - What did BT do about your current contract? I am paying for a ridiculously high speed that I don’t need but they won’t allow me to change at all! 😕. Thanks, Miles