cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed drops when on Zoom calls

BeardedFeline
Visitor

Hi EE Community,

We recently switched from BT Full Fibre 900mb service to EE's equivalent (plus hybrid connect). Having used the service for 2 full days while working from home, my partner and I have both had "Poor Connectivity" during Zoom calls. This happens individually and when both on separate Zoom calls at the same time. We have spoken to EE twice and they just said "Power cycle" and "Let's check your channel". 

We both have the same Laptops (pretty new with Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6E AX211 160MHz ) and are about the same short distance away from the EE Smart Hub. Probably 3 metres or so each. Speeds are generally good, with my Samsung S24Ultra regularly returning a Wireless speeds between 800 and 950mbps. 

During these Laptop connectivity issues, I ran speedtest.net on both the laptop and my smartphone. The laptop showed a significant drop in speed to 50mbps Down and only 14mbps up at one point (screenshots captured). However, the smartphone showed little change from the usual 800-950mbps speeds. 

After the calls end, the speeds on the laptop return to about 500-650mbps. 

We are due to have a return call in 2 days time from EE CS to see if the issue has resolved or whether we need an engineer. Reading the Community I'm getting the impression engineers can be hit-and-miss, so if this is not resolved, I will probably ask for a switch back to BT as I'm still in my cool off period. 

Before then, my partner and I still have a full day of Zoom and Teams calls, so I would ideally like to see if there is anything we can do, any help is much appreciated. A quick Speed test on my laptop right now and I'm getting 500 down and 100 up. I would point out that since EE moved me to channel 60 from channel 100 on 5ghz, my speed on both laptop and phone has dipped, but I'm unable to manually change this, it seems. My S24 has also dropped right now to 491 down but is 108 up. 

0 REPLIES 0