Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart hub plus, wireless backhaul?

Wraith1273
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

I've just migrated to EE from BT on a 1Gbps, full works plan.   I have just recieved my new smart hub plus and a smart wireless plus extender.   I know this supports WiFi 6 but I have no idea if it's a tri-band hub or not and uses a separate wireless backhaul channel, can't find info anywhere.

I have an Asus wireless mesh system, it is WiFi 6, tri-band and supports  backhaul on a separate 5 Ghz channel.  This frees up the second 5 Ghz channel for user connections only.

Does anyone know the specs of the smart hub plus and smart wifi plus?  I am guessing they are dual band and if they are I will just stick with my Asus setup.  I would prefer to use the EE kit, in case of issues because they won't help when you use third party kit.

Cheers!

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Wraith1273 With most ISP's they only support there own equipment, the EE smarthub+ is not a triband system, dumbed down router, that requires mobile app to help the setup and poor web interface, NO were near as good as your Asus router. Setup the EE to ensure it is working, then park it back in its box to take out when EE insist that you need it for any checks they require. Asus working on BT then no issues with EE. If you really need to use the EE router, required for EE voice on landline, then you will have to consider using the Asus as a NAT connection, got mine set that way until fttp is available. Only issue so far is wireless printing, but just connect to the EE router to do that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Wraith1273 With most ISP's they only support there own equipment, the EE smarthub+ is not a triband system, dumbed down router, that requires mobile app to help the setup and poor web interface, NO were near as good as your Asus router. Setup the EE to ensure it is working, then park it back in its box to take out when EE insist that you need it for any checks they require. Asus working on BT then no issues with EE. If you really need to use the EE router, required for EE voice on landline, then you will have to consider using the Asus as a NAT connection, got mine set that way until fttp is available. Only issue so far is wireless printing, but just connect to the EE router to do that.

Wraith1273
Investigator
Investigator

Thanks Jim,  that clears it up.  I suspected that the Asus would be much better, specs wise

Cheers!

JimM11
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

@Wraith1273 There are 2 hidden channels on the EE hub, one for 2.4ghz, and one for 5ghz, so not sure if they are for guest network or come alive when you add the smart booster, anyway there is now way to adjust them from any settings that i have found, i am 100% asus on router and AP, router nat at present and AP in repeater mode. Once fttp is done, then Asus router, AP in wired backhaul is the way that i am going for the mesh. EE back in the box.... OR have been threating from May last year, but now CBT up the pole, cable all coiled and Friday they all go home early.... So near yet so far.

@JimM11 Thanks again!  The Asus mesh has a lot more options for config so I will stick with it.  Sounds like you won't have long to wait until you go warp speed.  Enjoy when you do!  It's been 4K streams and gaming madness in our house since we got it in.