cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recomendation: Router for Fttp

maw2be
Investigator
Investigator

I'm looking for recomendation about router to use with FTTP.
I'm thinking about Draytek as know this company, they are doing realy good products.
I would like to have better control over network at home, current hub plus not allowing this.

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@maw2be   it really does depend on so many things, not least your budget and the features you want/need?

Draytek tend to be at the upper end of some budgets, and they can lag behind on some of the more advanced/newer features of other brands.  Asus, Netgear or TP Link are favoured my many.

And if you are looking to futureproof your purchase then features such as 2.5Gb or higher WAN/LAN ports, WiFi 6 and higher and so on.

HTH

I've check TP-LINK Archer AX55 but what it missing is package filter, firewall rules.
I know draytek as work on them in past. I want proper firewall I can control, really good wifi signal and speed. I don't care about fancy gui as this is not important.

Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@maw2be   that TP Link is a similar spec to the EE one, you would need to spend a lot more and maybe look at the BE range to get better performance. Not sure about the firewall features on those.

As for Draytek, they do a very handy comparison charts, so you can see what features you get on each of their routers. https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/comparison/router-comparison  before looking at the prices!

Like I said, Draytek are ok for me as reliable. But they are business grade, I don't have issue with that.
I'm for heavy home usage, us current black one not allowing me to connect wifi -> ethernet (after enable wifi control). So plan is to get proper router where I can controll almost every aspect of settings.

Personally I always go for Draytek routers

Bomb proof in my opinion, yes not cheap, but you get what you pay for 

As long as your not going to go for more than 1Gb then a 2927AX with Wi-Fi is good or for a more upmarket one go for the 2962, but this has no Wi-Fi, so you will need to add an access point(s) to it it if you need Wi-Fi  

If you want to make it future proof then go for the 3912 which will work up to 10Gb speeds, but you may want a 2nd mortgage

I currently have the 3912 with a Q2200X 2.5Gb switch, and Zyxel Access points, yes over the top, but future proof

At the end of the day it all depends on your budget