cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port forwarding - Idiot's Guide please

ziggyziggybop
Explorer

Hi there

I have just signed up to the EE smart hub and I need someone to visually break down how I can set up all of my port forwarding please. Having had no port issues for years with an alternative provider, I have absolutely no idea how to set up which internal or external ports I can open.

My son tried to host multiplayer games last night, but none of them would connect, and he also uses a stream deck app on his phone and his phone wasn't connecting either.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have looked at the how to guide on here and I just don't know which numbers I need to put in.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

You have to be a cut above an idiot to use & test Port Forwarding.

You don't open ports just for the sake of them. You only open the outgoing ports that the servers you are running require. The corresponding incoming ports can be anything you choose but most peeps choose them to be the same.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Thanks for that. I realise I was probably vague in my initial post. He is streams and so needs to connect his stream deck mobile app to the PC, as well as hosting these multiplayer games.

I understand the caution that needs to be taken, but I couldn't find any protocols that would give me any insight into which ports to target specifically.

I say idiot's guide, because I need to visually see what I need to do