cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New smart plus router activation

Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Hi had the new router today and we switch to EE smart plus router from the old BT smart hub 2 as we are taking Ee tv on a new customer deal  on Wednesday . 

Does the old bt router cut off which lets you know the new router can be plugged in or do they let you know when it can be switched as wife works from home using the internet .

we are keeping the same speed 150 full fibre so I only need to change router cables - any idea what time of day it usually happens and how long it will take for her to swap them over as I will not be home 

21 REPLIES 21
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

The BT router may not cut out. It should be just as happy on the EE connection as the BT 1.

You could connect the EE SH+ now. The reverse holds. I just plugged it in & it worked straight away, not even on Full Fibre.

EE BB can go live on your 'go live' date any time up to midnight.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

So I  can plug the new ee router in now and it would work on the old bt password Or the new ee password ? Do I need to switch the routers at all as the activation date for switch is weds ? 
the ee tv goes live on the weds too 

Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Doesn’t Bt deactivate the old router when the ee smart plus one gets activated ? 

The EE BB Username & pwd is the BT BB Username & pwd. You can switch routers whenever is convenient.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

No it’s a different name and password as they set it up as new customer with the old bt full fibre contract coming to an end .

do I need to wait until weds for it to activate or can I switch over now as the open reach line is still on bt router at the moment ? 

Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I mean the router name and password on the new router are different to the old bt router ones 

What router name? The PPPoE BB Username & pwd are the same for EE as for BT. The router model names/nos are diff but that is immaterial.

Eastie19
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I mean when you set up devices you put in the name and password  on the WiFi card underneath the router ?  They set me up as a new customer with EE which meant I could order the tv at same time .

i could plug the ee plus in now and it will work or do I need to wait till activation date on weds when the bt account will close and ee one activates ? I’m not migrating across but joining ee as new , sorry for confusion 

A router is a router! It will work with any. You could stick in your own router as long as you set the PPPoE BB Username & pwd.