cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from BT to EE - Smart Hub Plus

swarrin
Explorer

I recently placed an order to move from BT to EE - I specifically wanted to do this to access new router technology such as WiFi 6 and smart controls in the Smart Hub plus.

I was advised at the point of order that I would get this equipment, but now that my services have been activated I have been told that that's not true and I have to use my BT Smart Hub 2.

I have been passed from pillar to post with no joy in trying to get this remedied.

Has anyone else moved over from BT and had new equipment? I have access to the EE app but obviously not the smart controls, so it all seems a bit strange.

Any advice appreciated.

16 REPLIES 16
Wombat1803
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yes the same thing was said to me so I updated my package to the full works now I have the smart hub plus and hybrid connect but have not been sent the smart WiFi plus yet as there are delays getting them out to people who switched from bt to ee at least that’s what I was told 

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I moved from BT to EE and got the Smart Hub Plus and Smart WiFi devices. But I’ve currently got an open complaint with EE because I’ve had nothing but problems with the new router and its app, which are definitely not ready for prime time. I’m probably going to go back to BT - stable WiFi 5 is better than WiFi 6 I can’t control. 

Have to agree that the EE app does not work at all well with the latest Smart Hub Plus and Wifi Plus. Transferred from BT to EE this week. For several years I have been using own Orbi mesh network to get WiFi 6 speeds. I was hoping the EE hub would perform - but it is a shambles with the app. Trying to pair the extenders with the hub is nigh on impossible to achieve - spent hours. The app gives lots of ‘Sorry - our fault’ errors and fails to add the extenders. Browser access to the Hub management page is the slowest I have ever experienced on any router.

i have managed to get to a state where the browser view shows 2 extenders attached, but none of my 41 devices show as attached to them ?? I have given up with the app - as you say it is not ready for end users.

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

@KJCook I'm interested in what you say here because I'm on the verge of going back to BT to get a reliable service again, but the downside of doing that is that I'll lose the WiFi 6, which -- when it's working -- is the only advantage to moving over to EE. 

Could you tell me more about the Orbi solution you were using, please? I assume you had the BT Smart Hub 2 connected to your modem, turned off its WiFi, and connected the Orbi devices into that? Could you tell me which model of Orbi system you were using, please? 

I'm wondering if a good solution in my case would be to revert to BT, but not subscribe to Complete WiFi, and then buy my own mesh system to run the WiFi...

@garywood84 I was happily using an Orbi 753 set - a router and two satellites. As I did not have BT TV or digital voice I simply put the Orbi router in place of the BT Smart Hub. Worked great, with an excellent app that showed what devices were connected to each device. It is a WiFi 6 mesh and worked smoothly for 3 years or more. However, Orbi sets are very expensive- but they do a great job.

After two days of EE’s ‘smart devices’ and App I’m ready to switch back to BT and Orbi!!

Meridius
Investigator
Investigator

I  got moved to EE from BT and was promised the smart hub plus but did not get it. Went through the highest level of complaints and basically we can not have it. Unless you get 1.6gb broadband as the smart hub plus has one 2.5gb port that you need for 1.6gb service.   

I even told them I can not take out the extra gaming features as you need the new hub and their system would not let me subscribe to it because of this. Even trying to add the gaming  service tie systems denied it. 

so I am stuck with the bt hub and can not  get the gaming service and new plus hub even their whole site advertises the fact. 

the whole bt to ee merger is a mess and are failed advertising their products.  

and to the ones saying I might go back to bt why ? Because in the next couple of years you will just get moved back to ee as bt are moving all residents to ee and business are staying u see the bt umbrella 

ee and bt merger is a complete shambles  so much for getting there advertised gaming features. 

EE do have a router that supports one 2.5gb port it’s called the smart hub plus. The normal smart hub  are and supply at the moment are just repackaged bt smart hub 2 which have been out for years and have 1gb port and wifi5 

the smart hub plus has WiFi 6 as well as one 2.5g port  and modes to be able to use there smart WiFi and gaming features if you subscribe. 

I  got moved to EE from BT and was promised the smart hub plus but did not get it. Went through the highest level of complaints and basically we can not have it. Unless you get 1.6gb broadband apparently as the smart hub plus has one 2.5gb port that you need for 1.6gb service.   

I even told them I can not take out the extra gaming features as you need the new hub and their system would not let me subscribe to it because of this. Even trying to add the gaming  service their  systems denied it. 

so I am stuck with the bt hub and can not  get the gaming service and new plus hub even their whole site advertises the fact you can on all speeds 

the whole bt to ee merger is a mess and are false advertising their products.  

ee and bt merger is a complete shambles  so much for getting there advertised gaming features. 

I have also herd they might bring out a WiFi 7 version but who knows prob can not have that either. 

@Meridius : Which merger is that then? You mean the 1 in 2015? That's still affecting EE BB? Cuz EE BB was fine until recently.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Em the ee and bt  merger. That everyone has been on about the last few weeks 

https://www.techradar.com/computing/wi-fi-broadband/the-end-of-bt-as-we-know-it-ee-unveil-new-plans-...

everything in that article, is a lie if you have been a bt customer and moved over to ee you can not have the new hub smart hub plus you can not add the WiFi Enhancer is the inclusion of a 'Work Mode' and 'Game Mode.  

they say nothing when you sign up or on there site about bt customers getting sod all with there 24 month contract deal.   I am not happy about it that’s for sure as I am now with ee. I mean most of there customer support don’t even know there’s another hub out. It’s a mess