cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line Checker doesn’t work with my address

helloitwez
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just after I moved into my current house around two years ago I ran the EE line checker in the hopes of switching to EE and consolidating my phone/broadband payments. For some reason the line checker just gave me an error saying there was an issue with the line checker and to try later. 

I gave up, transferred the broadband from my old house, and have been happy since. 

Out of curiosity, I tried the line checker again last month and it’s still showing an error with my address. If I select the house next door it works fine. It’s literally just my house. 

I called support and was basically told they don’t know why and to contact BT and see what they say. I did and they passed the blame back to EE as I have had FTTC broadband from a different provider working flawlessly for the past two years. 

Has anyone had anything like this issue before?

Thanks for any help!

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@helloitwez   have you tried the BT Wholesale DSL checker? Ideally with your phone number, but also compare the results with the address check.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

Sometimes there can be a database error which can cause the issue you describe. 

Let us know/post the results obscuring your phone number/address to see if we can help get to the bottom of the problem.

Do you pay different suppliers for your phone and broadband?

That all said, given the stop sell on the old PSTN phone network, you will not be able to move your phone unless to a digital solution.

I get the error “There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line”

I currently have Cuckoo broadband and pay them for everything.

I did have to have an OpenReach engineer come out and check my line when I first signed up (he said it was because the previous homeowner didn’t have FTTC) but as I said, it’s worked fine since then.

OK if you are with Cuckoo that is expected with the phone check, but what about the address version?

@Mustrum “We cannot determine broadband availability at this location. This may be a new address to which connectivity is not yet complete.”

@helloitwez   then alas as per my first reply there seems to be a database mismatch, but it is Cuckoo who need to get it sorted before you can ever move away from them.  The change is known as ORDI (Openreach Data Integrity I think) 

HTH

@Mustrum I’ll get in touch with them! Thank you!

@helloitwez   just another thought - do you have your Cuckoo service via an Openreach landline or fibre?

Reason for asking is I just tried then at my address but it is saying they only supply fibre - which I can't get yet. So was wondering if perhaps they use any other suppliers - Cityfibre ar other local fibre supplier?

@Mustrum it’s just an Open Reach landline, no fibre to my address yet unfortunately!

It seems like Cuckoo are moving to fibre only for new customers now, they used to use TalkTalk business for their FTTC before I think. 

Thanks @helloitwez 

If you check the exact details the Post Office has for your address and compare it with what Cuckoo have it is likely there will be a difference - hence the database mismatch. Hopefully you can get that sorted soon and therefore be able to move broadband supplier if you choose.

But do make sure you know what your phone solution will be if/when you move - not all suppliers provide phone services these days, and many will not provide a battery backup in the event of a power failure meaning no way of contacting emergency services if you happen to live in a poor mobile reception area.