cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending wifi signal from EE Smart Hub Plus (SH31B)

simonbath
Investigator
Investigator

I have just installed an EE Smart Plus Hub (SH31B). I'm getting good download speeds (almost 700mps) on devices in close proximity to the Hub, but I live in a 3-storey townhouse, and speeds on the middle and top floors are not great. Previously I had a BT hub with a round black BT booster and that improved the speeds on the upper floors.

Can I use something like a TP-Link RE550 Range Extender to boost the wifi from the EE hub, or is the only option to go for an EE product (the SW30A extender)? 

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@simonbath    The TP Link website says that device works with any router, so you should be fine with that.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re550/ 

Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

You can use most TP link devices, I have a power line one that connects to my garage 👌 

I also have EE’s WiFi plus extenders (£10 extra per month) and they provide upto 3 of these extenders.
so far I am happy with the coverage they are providing me around my home including in my previous black spots 👌 

Eddy

Thanks Mostrum. Really helpful.

My nervousness regarding the TP Link is that the spec refers to any "router" and I wasn't sure if that would exclude the EE Smart Hub, since it's a hub rather than a router (showing my ignorance here!)

Thanks Eddy2760. Really helpful.

Can I confirm - does your TP Link Powerline work with the EE Smart Hub Plus SH31B?

Can I also ask - how come you went with EE's wifi extenders at £10pm when TP Link and other manufacturers work out a lot cheaper over (say) a 24 month contract?  Apologies if this is a dumb or intrusive question.

Thanks again

@simonbath : Same thing! It's just EE's word for it. 

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Eddy2760
Expert Contributor
Expert Contributor

lol noo not at all intrusive lol 😂 happy to help all where I can 👌

For me with TP Power-line, I don’t think the speed is there compared to the extenders that I have been supplied with by EE. My power-line is pumping out max 60mbps where as the extenders are upto 710mbps at the moment also since the factory reset this has become lower for some reason 🤷‍♂️ 

There maybe better TP power line products with better speeds than the one I have but I can’t afford to pay outright for some of the costs they charge so for £10 per month for 3 extenders I am happy at the moment that I can provide WiFi all around the home straight away 👌

Eddy

Thanks Eddy2760, much appreciated.

Great, thanks XRaySpeX.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@simonbath wrote:

I have just installed an EE Smart Plus Hub (SH31B). I'm getting good download speeds (almost 700mps) on devices in close proximity to the Hub, but I live in a 3-storey townhouse, and speeds on the middle and top floors are not great. Previously I had a BT hub with a round black BT booster and that improved the speeds on the upper floors.

Can I use something like a TP-Link RE550 Range Extender to boost the wifi from the EE hub, or is the only option to go for an EE product (the SW30A extender)? 

A repeater like the one you mention will work; it does not support WiFi6 though which the EE Smart WiFi extenders do (if that matters to you). It also has fewer antenna, operates at lower channel widths, and I doubt it will be as capable in terms of creating a truly 'seamless' WiFi network.

If you go the Powerline route, be mindful there that's no chance you'll get anywhere close to 700mbps through electrical wiring; you'd be lucky to get a third of that.