cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New EE" FTTP IPv6

-Fred-
Investigator
Investigator

If one was to move from BT FTTP to EE FTTP does the "New EE" now support IPv6 on FTTP connections?

As I know historically it didn't but wondered if this has changed with BT residential becoming more intertwined with EE.

I'm guessing yes but would be weird if not as they're advertising "We recommend moving to new EE because you’ll benefit from even better connectivity in and out of the home." Losing IPv6 would simply be a downgrade.

Best Regards,

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@-Fred- New EE Broadband is based on BT Broadband not old EE broadband so yes it does support IPV6.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@-Fred-   that is a good question - as far as I know it was not available before the recent re-launch.

Maybe someone knows.

David
Brilliant Contributor
Brilliant Contributor

@-Fred- New EE Broadband is based on BT Broadband not old EE broadband so yes it does support IPV6.

Excellent news, thank you 🙂

Mecha-Medic
Explorer

I enabled IPv6 on my Asus router and visited test-ipv6.com. It states, and I quote; "Any address starting with "::", "fc", "fd", or "fe" is unable to work with the public IPv6 Internet." As you can see in the screen capture,  I got a positive result for the IPv4 connection and a negative result for IPv6, from an IPv6 testing website.

You can see from the screenshots for yourself that my IPv6 starts with "fe". I live just outside a small town on the east coast of England, where we have FTTC. I hope this offers some insight into the availability of IPv6 for consumers. I've read that it's different for business clients.

test ipv6.jpg

test ipv6-1.jpg

All fully functional on my Ubiquiti UDM-SE. Am getting 10/10 on the IPv6 testing websites. FTTP 900. 

According to information from EE technical support, IPv6 is fully available on all of their broadband services and has been for some time . However, it's worth noting that there are some discussions on the EE Community forums mentioning that EE's fiber home broadband may not currently support IPv6 . Nonetheless, IPv6 is supported over EE's 4G network.

However, it's worth noting from my previous post with screen captures that I'm not able to use IPv6 on my EE's fiber home broadband service. So it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Come on, EE, put this argument to bed once and for all.

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Mecha-Medic - as I understand it, newly provisioned EE broadband lines carry full native IPv6 support. I think longer-established circuits may be dependent on slightly different network architecture that does not.

I have a recently installed EE Full Fibre line and IPv6 is supported/working.