cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Smart Hub Plus Port Forwarding

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

I have received my Smart Hub Plus today, having been persuaded to move from BT Broadband to EE Broadband for the benefits of Wifi 6.

I have set up port forwarding in exactly the same way as I had it configured in my BT Smart Hub, to allow RDP access to my computer, but it's not working. 

Has anyone else successfully got Port Forwarding to work with this router? It looks like it's saved the settings, but behaves as if they are not applied.

16 REPLIES 16
bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Bobby1214181 - what logs are you looking at and what are they telling you?

When you say your DDNS doesn't connect, do you mean it won't register from the hub, or is it registered correctly and you're just unable to use the DDNS name to reach the VPN server? Are you confident the DDNS hostname is still resolving to your current IP address? If you try connecting to the server via IP, is it any different?

@bobpullen for the DDNS issue I am getting :

alias xxxxx-yyyy-xxxx-yyyy, new IP# 192.168.0.99
Fatal error in DDNS server response: DDNS server response not OK
Error response from DDNS server, ignoring

For the openvpn I am getting :

Connection Attempt read UDPv4 [ECONNREFUSED]: Connection refused (fd=6 code=111)

Which I understand can be port forwarding issue.

Thanks

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Bobby1214181 - is that DDNS client running on the same router the VPN server is, and is that where the logging is coming from?

alias xxxxx-yyyy-xxxx-yyyy, new IP# 192.168.0.99

That IP is a local/private address. It isn't an IP address that I'd expect a DDNS client to be trying to send an update with. Not sure what DDNS provider you're using, but I would fully expect them to issue a bad response if you try sending an update containing a private IP address. It should be your public IP (that will be assigned to the EE hub).

I can't explain how it was working before, but it's all kind of pointing to a problem with the NAT translation/router daisy-chaining.

Hi @bobpullen 

What I meant by the xxx-yyy was my host token, not IP address. I did not want to share it publicly. Sorry for the confusion. 

bobpullen
Prodigious Contributor
Prodigious Contributor

@Bobby1214181 '- it was this bit I was referring to - 'IP# 192.168.0.99'.

Yes, that is private. The subnet that the EE SmartHub is on.

The other router is on 192.168.1.0 subnet.

The DDNS provider is DuckDNS.org

Thanks

garywood84
Established Contributor
Established Contributor

Just reporting back on this: after rebooting the hub, it seems to have settled down, and for the rest of the week, port forwarding has been working as expected. I think it may just have needed a reboot after the automatic firmware update. Fingers crossed it will keep working fine...