Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EE Smart Disc Ethernet Connectivity

Mikebellows
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a device to a smart disc using an ethernet cable?

Or is the port only suitable for pairing the disc to the router?

Thanks

Mike.

14 REPLIES 14
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Mikebellows.

Where did you get the Smart discs?

Do they have ethernet ports built in?

One of our broadband experts might be able to shed more light on this.

Jon

Hi,

I have been issued the Smart Discs from EE.

They have ethernet ports for pairing to the router.

I was wondering if the same ports can be used to connect a device to instead of using Wifi.

Thanks

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Are you having trouble using your device over WiFi, @Mikebellows?

Jon

Yes. An external security camera.
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Thanks @Mikebellows.

If one of our broadband experts can answer this, they will be along shortly to help.

If not, I'd recommend getting in touch wit our Broadband Care team.

Jon

The camera is on the external wall and is around 3 metres away from the Smart Disc.

The camera switches from 50% to 90% signal strength. generally it is good, but at times, the signal drops completely out and thus I cannot view through the camera.

The camera has an ethernet port, so I was wondering if I could connect the Smart Disc directly to the camera and resolve the connectivity problem.

If not I will use TP link plugs.

@Jon_K, I feel like you've answered @Mikebellows's question with another question - twice.

Mike asked a simple question and I'd also like to know the answer; Can you connect to the ethernet port on the back of the Smart Disc, for getting signal to the connected device rather than just using it to initially connect to the router?

As in, I've used the ethernet port to connect my Smart Disc to my router, now I've moved my Smart Disc to the office - can I now connect my PC's ethernet to the back of the Smart Disc's ethernet?

Please just answer with a "Yes" or a "No", or something there abouts, do not try to follow up with a question - I have been very specific and do not require additional support.

Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @Dacks_18.

I'm not sure if this is possible.

The best places to look would be our Smart Disk Help Page, or speaking with our Broadband Care team.

Jon

Hi Mike

Did you get a simple answer. Interested as need to connect a PC to disc if possible. Otherwise will get TP 

Thank you

Lynn