cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a TP-LINK RE 550 1900 wifi extender with my Smart Hub?

Bowkes
Contributor
Contributor

I recently git the 1Gbp full fibre and had to relocate my router which means I have poor WiFi signal in my upstairs rooms.  EE unfortunately didn't offer me their Smart wifi as part of my signup and now I am kind of stuck on how to boost my wifi signal. So 2 questions really, 1) does the Smart Hub support OneMesh? And 2) does the Smart Hub work with the TP-LINK RE550 (which is currently on less than half price on Amazon)?

2 REPLIES 2
XRaySpeX
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

You should be able to use any Mesh system with the EE Smart Hub (except EE's own Smart Discs).

It's your choice whether you leave the SH's Wireless enabled or not. If you do you can run it as 2 separate WiFi networks or make them the same as each other.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
Mustrum
EE Community Star
EE Community Star

@Bowkes   so yes you can use that device to extend your WiFi.

Have you looked at the spec? https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/range-extender/re550/ 

So like your current router via WiFi you might get 400Mbps ish a bit further away from your existing router, what are you looking to acheive?