cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT to EE - My experiences to date (Jan 2024), should it be this difficult?

turbotapeworm
Investigator
Investigator

Long-time EE mobile customers with 3 SIM accounts but we were on BT Fibre and under contract with them until last month.

EE have been trying to sell us broadband for some time now but were unable to actually make it happen until the BT contract ended, understandable and that time came last month.

So we went to the EE shop at the start of the year and sat down with them to discuss options, the deal we ended up with was a faster EE package, a £20 a month discount on one of the SIMs with an upgrade to unlimited data to match the other two and all for the same amount paid to BT previously.

I was happy with that.

They booked an engineer to come out to us to do the swap, I suggested I'd be more than happy to just swap the box over given that's all that was needed but apparently an engineer needed to come, fine, they're the experts.

The time of the appointment came, no engineer.

We rang, apparently the order hadn't been finalised, no engineer was booked, it's fine it would be done that evening, we'll post you an EE router out to come within 48 hours, no engineer is needed. Nothing arrived.

In the meantime the BT contract ended, they sent numerous letters and emails to confirm this and even a plastic bag to post the router to them. When queried with EE they said to keep the BT Hub for now, the connection will stay up, it has, at the BT speed on the expired account.

We got a call from the call centre saying they wanted to update us, after going through security they then placed us on hold for 20 minutes and then cut us off. It seems they didn't do any checking in advance, it was a cold call, we've already spent about an hour on hold on other calls trying to sort this out.

Chased the router again the following day, promised to send another but still couldn't say what was going on and the order wasn't finalised... no sign of router days later.

Popped into another EE shop, the account wouldn't load up properly, apparently there's issues transitioning from one system to another, multiple tablets needed in store but assured the EE contract is now in place but told I might not get the new EE router as the Hub 2 should be fine. I'd like the update for the improved wireless if nothing else and also to replace kit that's a few years old. "Well you might get it, just wait".

We still haven't had any kind of email, text or postal communication to confirm the new broadband deal or to promote any of the EE specific features it brings, we're still very much in BT world as far as I can see.

At the time of the initial order I'd expressed an interest in getting EE TV, was told I couldn't until the broadband was connected, understandable but as of now it's still not connected and the EE TV deals I'd been quoted ended on the 25th of January.

So as of today, nearly a month down the line I'm connected to BT without a contract at the old speed using the same kit and can't get EE TV or the speeds we're now supposedly paying for... nobody in the shop seems to know what's happening, people on the phones also seem to be struggling. Speedtests show "BT" but I suspect that's normal given they're the backbone of all of this anyway but I would like to be moved to a more "EE experience" now.

I'm sure it'll all be sorted out eventually but I just wanted to offer some insight for anyone thinking of swapping to BT to EE in the near future, what should be a seamless process that's due to be the future for all BT broadband customers doesn't seem to be working very well at the present time.

Or maybe it's just us?

12 REPLIES 12
Robbie-Mac
EE Community Support Team

Hi @turbotapeworm

Welcome to the EE Community and thank you for your post!

I am sorry for the problems you're having with your order to move over to us.  It's really disappointing to see the numerous problems you've experienced with your order.  We can pick up here now and manage everything until you're happy everything is up and running.

I'll message you privately in a moment with steps you can take to come through to us and we'll pick up and own your complaint until everything is resolved.

Thanks,

Robbie

turbotapeworm
Investigator
Investigator

Hi @Robbie-Mac , thanks for replying.

I've dropped you a message in response to the one you sent, I appreciate your help on this one.

Robbie-Mac

No probs @turbotapeworm

I see you've had a tough time up to this point.  We'll make things as smooth as possible from here on in until you're happy everything is resolved.  We deal with cases as we receive them so as soon as you reach the top of the queue one of the guides will be in touch to help you out.

Thanks,

Robbie

turbotapeworm
Investigator
Investigator

A small update - EE called my wife on Monday and said they would be sending out a router.

One just arrived today, it's the exact BT Smart Hub 2 we already have from BT rather than the Smart Hub Plus I was expecting.

I know there isn't a huge difference but the WiFi 6 would have been nice and I was expecting new equipment and a rebrand to EE rather than being sent older BT kit given I've supposedly moved to the "latest and greatest" all BT customers will end up with eventually.

This is all just a mess at what should be a very basic process that they have instigated and advertised, I haven't just suddenly turned up to EE and demanded they start selling broadband.

turbotapeworm
Investigator
Investigator

@Robbie-Mac- I believe a thank you is needed, I really appreciate you picking this one up and hopefully sorting things out - it's really appreciated.

Robbie-Mac

You're welcome @turbotapeworm

Everything looks good now.  I've ordered the EE Smart Hub Plus today too and it'll be with you in the next couple of days.  I've set a follow up for Monday just to make sure you've received it and that you're happy everything is resolved 😊

Catch up with you again then.

Robbie

MadamV48
Explorer

we are a couple in our mid 70's with landline,broadband mobiles,TV mini box all with BT costing £104 per month.

Earlier this month Feb 2024 I had issues with my mini box scrambling at certain times,ii rang BT to report  the fault.
First agent reduced my monthly charge by  taking Sky sports out of my package this was without my permissioN.

The situation as escalated into a comedy of errors with  BT ending my  analogue landline again without my permission.I have now been without a landline for  3 days,I have serious medical problems and depend n my landline as a lifeline.

The 'agents' I have spoken with do not seem to know what they are talking about and I reckon they are working from home with no management support.

Hopefully an engineer due today may help but I am not holding my breath.

MISAW
Investigator
Investigator

When FTTP was first available at my property, it made sense to switch to BT, as they provided a Digital Voice plan - £62.93 in total.

I have been an EE Mobile customer, of several years, and work for the BT Group.

BT could not provide a cheaper package until one month in advance.

EE were in a position to waive off termination fee, and migrate my service from BT to EE. I'm now only paying £44.99, with a cheaper Digital Voice than BT.

Because I was migrating from BT Full Fibre, to EE Full Fibre, I had a Remote Activation setup - which meant service was uninterrupted.

Exceptionally good end-to-end service from EE.

In addition, BT currently provide the Hub Two router which is WIFI 5 only.

EE, of course, provide a WIFI 6 router.