cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using an apple smartwatch in Spain

AlB3
Explorer

Using my iPhone in Spain is no problem - it automatically connects to a local service such as Movistar or Orange. I have an apple smartwatch on my ee account with a different phone number. For the life of me. I can’t see where I can change from EE to use a Spanish service. Have looked in detail at settings on my watch and at settings in the smartwatch app on my iPhone. Please help?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@AlB3  Hi and welcome to the Community.

The question has been asked before, the reply then was:

Unfortunately, the watch will not work abroad on its own, you will need to have your phone with you for it to work, as roaming is not available on the watch. It will however work with the phone nearby, as it uses Bluetooth.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mustrum
Ace Contributor
Ace Contributor

@AlB3  Hi and welcome to the Community.

The question has been asked before, the reply then was:

Unfortunately, the watch will not work abroad on its own, you will need to have your phone with you for it to work, as roaming is not available on the watch. It will however work with the phone nearby, as it uses Bluetooth.

HTH

Is the limitation with the apple watch or with EE? i.e. will the apple watch 9 work on cellular without an iPhone on EE, or is the issue that EE / international partners don't support roaming on apple watches?

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hello @inmaterichard

Welcome to the community. 

At present EE does not support roaming for Apple Watches. 

Will you be taking the phone which is paired to your watch?

Katie

Hi Katie, 

No, the purpose of paying additional money for a data plan for the Apple Watch is to use the watch without your phone near by. I would assume that is a well understood use for the watch, hence you offered a data plan for the watch. Do you know if EE will look to offer roaming on Apple Watch in the future? I pay for roaming on my mobile contract and was hoping to use it aboard. I might need to rethink my data plan. From a consumers perspective, it seems like a strange limitation to impose. 

Katie_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @inmaterichard

At this time, I have no further information for Roaming with an Apple Watch. 

Should this change the EE website will be updated. 

Katie