cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is wifi calling and 4g calling available on Google Pixel 4a?

garypcook
Investigator
Investigator

Hi,

Looking to upgrade to a smallish, mid range phone and like the look of the Pixel 4a (standard version not 5g). But I need 4g calling and wifi calling and these features are not shown on the ee website as available with the 4a. I asked at the local shop and they said not - I'm amazed as I would have thought a modern phone would have these. Anyone using the 4a and can confirm whether they are actually available or not?

7 REPLIES 7
Jon_K
Former EE Employee

Hi @garypcook.

Welcome to the community.

The Google Pixel 4a should have WiFi Calling available, as it is built into the phone.

Hopefully a Pixel user can come along and verify this.

Jon

Hi it was working fine on my Pixel 3 and is on my Pixel 5 so i cant imagine the 4a would be any different. its in settings - network and internet - mobile network - advanced options at the bottom and then in calling options

garypcook
Investigator
Investigator

Update in case anyone else is interested - even though the Pixel 4a isn't listed on the EE website as capable of 4g and wifi calling and the local shop told me it is not I couldn't believe this so phoned customer services - who checked and confirmed that it is, so I went ahead and ordered one. I can confirm that the phone does indeed work with 4g and wifi calling.

Just wondered, 18 months later, if Wi-Fi calling is still working for you @garypcook , on Android 12 on the Pixel 4a?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

@ahmacc   It should still be working Google wouldn’t take away a feature like that 

Cheers Chris.

I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that!  🙂

I should mention that this isn't an EE issue, but I'm just fact-finding.  I have a Pixel 4a on idmobile (Three), on which Wi-Fi Calling worked at Android 11 and still works at Android 12.  My wife's Pixel 4a is on Voxi (Vodafone) and Wi-Fi Calling worked at Android 11 but has stopped (we think) when she upgraded it to Android 12.

Hence my question.  My wife is looking for any other network where Wi-Fi Calling is known to work on a Pixel 4a at Android 12, but not Three, since we try to keep our phones on different networks.

Thanks!

Hi,

Yes it's still working for me on Android 12 & Pixel 4a. Only annoying thing is if there is even the weakest of mobile signal it switches to that rather than continue with wifi calling and so reception can then be very poor - I wish it chose the strongest signal to give the best service - but I don't think that's an EE issue. 

Gary