cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my number - already entered PAC code on account application

neilBar
Explorer

Hi all, I hope you can help please - whilst signing up to move to EE from Virgin I added my Virgin PAC code. There has been no explanation of how this works - whether I now have to provide my PAC again? Thers a long wait to speak to support - 

I found a "Switching Provider Form" on the EE site

[ https://myaccount.ee.co.uk/app/keeping-your-number ] I entered my PAC from Virgin, my old Virgin number (the one I want to transfer) and the new EE number but the "next" button is dead, clicking on it does nothing so I can't move on. 

Perhaps the port will already in progress as I already gave my PAC code (maybe it started when I put the EE sim onto a phone) - but this is not explained anywhere. 

Is it realistic to expect this number transfer to happen within 24 hours?

4 REPLIES 4
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@neilBar  Number ports take up to 24 hours.  I recommend you reset your device a few times as this can help.  

Yeah, thx for the help. 

In case it helps anyone I'll describe my experience.

I applied to join EE and at the time entered my PAC code.

The system said my number would change within 24 hours

(It wasn’t stated - but plainly that’s 24 hours AFTER the new EE SIM is detected on the EE network)

I received the EE SIM - I put it in an old iphone to connect it. 

I did try to enter the PAC again on the PAC form at EE.co.uk, as described in my initial post above, but it would not work, I could not click "next" - it wasn’t clear why but I'm guessing that’s because the swop was in progress as my PAC was entered earlier during my EE application).

I wish I had received clear instructions on what to do when porting a number in a SIM only situation - so here are mine for anyone who is stuck:

1: Apply for EE online, add PAC code on the 'sign up' webpage

2: When EE SIM arrives put it in a phone so it is registered "on the system" [In my case I could put it in a spare old iphone, let it connect,  then turned that phone off. (I guess you COULD also put it into your main phone and then remove until the port happens)

Why turn the phone off? If the number had ported to the SIM whilst in that old iphone, it would become "my" phone and, if ON, receive texts, which messes up iphone text history - any texts received during the time whilst the SIM is in there do not then appear on the "main" phone, I've found.]

3: Keep your old provider's SIM in your main phone until it stops working (which indicates that the number has been ported.)

4: Transfer the EE SIM to the main phone you'll be using, there should be no disturbance to the service AND you'll have all your text history too. 

Only glitch I have now is that Google dual step verification texts are not being received. Maybe Google needs to catch up, my workaround is to set up the Google Authenticator app.

Good luck and enjoy EE, I'm rather pleased to have iPhone "visual voicemail" again. It’s a nice feature and Vodafone and Virgin didn’t support it. 

neilBar

Craig_T
Visitor

I have a similar issue - entered PAC code when signing up, received the SIM card, tried it in my phone because "activating it" was mentioned in the blurb that come with the SIM, tried the "transfer my number" form (again mentioned in the blurb) but it wouldn't accept my PAC, left wondering if that was because the transfer is already in motion and that PAC can no longer be used?

Just wish there was some sign on the MyEE app or website to show if there was a number port in motion.  If the number is not being ported or cannot be ported, I need to know in time to cancel my contract.

Hoping the number transfer is in motion and my old SIM will stop working tomorrow (24hrs) and everything will be okay.

Leanne_T
EE Community Support Team

Morning @Craig_T 

Thanks for coming here. 

This would normally happen when the PAC has been provided to us previously. If you call us on 150 from the EE phone the team can check the port is all set up and let you know the date this will complete for you. 

Leanne 🙂