cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does EE offer a "true" pay as you go plan?

imajeenyus88
Explorer

I currently have a Giffgaff SIM. I use this extremely infrequently, usually for the occasional camping trip where I might need to check maps, weather etc. With Giffgaff, I simply put some credit on my account, then can use data at 10p/MB or whatever it is. There are no monthly "rolling plans" or monthly payments of any sort whatsoever. Maybe it costs me a bit more overall, I don't particularly care. I like not being tied to any sort of monthly payments.

Now, I've found EE provides better coverage and I'm considering switching. However, I simply cannot understand the morass of different plans and schemes offered. Despite calling it "pay as you go", it still seems to boil down to a monthly, automatically renewed plan or "subscription pack".

Can someone please clarify if EE offer a similar deal to Giffgaff? I.e. if I put credit into my EE account but do not have any sort of "plans" or "subscription packs", can I simply use data at some predetermined rate? If that's the case, then what is the rate?

5 REPLIES 5
354-
Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Chris_B
Grand Master
Grand Master

@imajeenyus88  yes, you can have a standard PAYG, once you receive the Sim card and it’s activated just text STOP PACK to 150.   All your credits will then go towards calls and text 

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

@imajeenyus88 : Not really! As @Chris_B suggested you could text STOP PACK to 150 immediately you receive it but then you can only buy call mins & texts per unit from your PAYG credit as you use them but not data on a per KB or MB basis as you use it. For data you would need to buy a block of data as an add-on by texting ADD DATA to 150. These blocks range from 150MB over 7 days for £2 to 10GB over 30 days for £20.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

Am I correct in thinking that if I buy a "block" of data, I have to use it up in the specified time period, otherwise I'll lose it?

Correct.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)