Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming issue from Italy - Receive SMS BUT no outbound SMS and no Calls

Carol_Tr1p
Investigator
Investigator

Hello!

I read all posts in the 'Roaming' sections and I am getting nowhere. My son also spoke with tech support (lovely lady, thank you!) and they struggled to find a solution. Hopefully posting it here may help.

The problem

My phone is not working in Italy at the moment. The phone receives SMS but cannot send SMS and cannot send/receive calls. When my son calls from the UK, he gets the EE voicemail message straight away. When we try to call him in the UK, the call ends abruptly. Mobile Internet also does not connect to the Internet.

However, the network bar is full with the 'R' sign (showing there is network), and when mobile internet is turned on, the H+ sign appears as if connectivity is taking place.

The phone:

The details:

• SIM PAYG was activated in the UK
  • Roaming is ON (and also confirmed as active on EE side)
  • There is top-up credit enough for call/text
  • There is also a pack and add-ons included enough for call/text
  • Manual network search was tested with all 3 mobile operators supported by EE
  • Phone number is registered on ee.c.uk with my name (and I also have the EE app installed)

Other notes:

• Even if phone supports Dual SIM, we tested with only the EE SIM inserted and are leaving the phone on most of the time
  • EE tech support says SIM card shows as not registered even though I did register it via ee.co.uk and my name has been associated with the SIM card (this note is more for EE tech support)
  • My husband is adding the latest EE APN settings although I believe this should only address mobile internet, not phone calls

What are we missing?

Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
Carol_Tr1p
Investigator
Investigator

I seem to have the same problem...

https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Roaming/Roaming-issue-from-Italy-Receive-SMS-BUT-no-outbound-SMS-and-n...

SIM PAYG cards expire after 120 days I believe if there is no activity.

But I don't know if activity means both 'top-up' and 'calling' or 'calling' only.

XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

Did you use that PAYG SIM for making calls or texts in UK before you left to go abroad? EE PAYG SIMs need 1st activating on EE's home UK network. If it wasn't you can't now use it until you return to UK.

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)

We definitely made one phone call and received one. Wasn't that enough?

James_B
EE Community Support Team

Hi @Carol_Tr1p,

Yes, one successful outbound phone call would be enough to activate the SIM.

Could Customer Care see a record of the call when they reviewed your account?

James