cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rising Bills on new contract

kbinning
Investigator
Investigator

On a new contract, started a couple of months ago. I've gotten an email to tell me they're raising the prices already.

Is this standard practice for companies now? Get people on the contract, then increase the price of the contract shortly after they've signed on?

The contract states a price increase, but it's not until after 6 months iirc.

Such a price increase after a short period after signup should be stated clearly on new contracts. Not disclosing this information intentionally does not sit well.

7 REPLIES 7
Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @kbinning 

If this is the CPI increase then please read here;

https://ee.co.uk/help/billing-payments/guide-to-bill/price-increase

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.

My point exactly. These price changes are not listed on the contracts at all. This link is nowhere to be seen when selecting a new contract.

Signed up and barely a couple of months in there's already a price increase. Absolute joke.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

@kbinning wrote:

On a new contract, started a couple of months ago. I've gotten an email to tell me they're raising the prices already.

Is this standard practice for companies now?

Mid-contract price rises are commonplace across the UK telecoms industry - both fixed & mobile providers.

@kbinning wrote:

The contract states a price increase, but it's not until after 6 months iirc.

Such a price increase after a short period after signup should be stated clearly on new contracts.

T&Cs are at https://ee.co.uk/content/dam/help/terms-and-conditions/mobile/pay-monthly/network/paym-network-terms...  & Point 6 is pertinent - this covers the annual increase going on March bills, irrespective of when you connected or upgraded.

@bristolian   What’s this then

IMG_1823.png

and if you upgrade via phone or in store this is actually part of the sales talk that you have to agree to before the sale takes place.

My point exactly. The price increases are not listed when signing a new contract, nor was there a link to further information about progressively increasing prices.

Signed a new contract and got a price hike right out the gate. Not so much "mid-contract" as "post-payment". Literally 2 payments in and they're upping the price. Complete joke considering the SIM didn't even work for half that time.

Networks that don't have mid-contract price increases:
VOXI.
Lebara.
SMARTY.
Lyca Mobile (until 2026)
Asda Mobile.
Utility Warehouse.

Can't say I'll be renewing this contract. Bottom line is they up prices with inflation, but they don't up wages with inflation, and frankly my wage doesn't match inflation either. Blatant pocket-lining.

bristolian
Legend
Legend

When you accept a new contract, you tick or sign to acknowledge understanding of the T&C - those are freely available to check anytime both pre & post-purchase. If you've purchased your phone online or via telesales, you also have a statutory 14days "change of mind" right of return for any reason.

You should always include the monthly cost over 2 years, alongside the quality of network service and numerous other factors, in your purchasing decisions.

Exactly my point.

These price hikes are in the T&C, but not part of the projected pricing listed on the contract.

You'll notice how I said this is blatant pocket-lining, but I haven't said this is illegal. It's in the fine print, so it's legal. But the fact is behaviour is not something which typically gains popularity with any consumer base, and that's for a very good reason.

Bit of a shame. Was with EE for a good number of years back when they were Orange, then went for plusnet for a few years. Come back and it seems EE is a bit more money-grabbing than I last remember. I'm not expecting EE to do anything about it. Just pointing out the reality that this is what happens with price hikes, and there are absolutely companies which offer mobile plans without price hikes.