cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Charges for texts with emoji’s, photos on EE essentials?

Alan1206
Visitor

Been sending sms messages adding emoji to them.. Been charged 83p  for each emoji. Is this right.  No other network charges for emoji via sms 

8 REPLIES 8
XRaySpeX
Grand Master
Grand Master

That's correct, @Alan1206 ! By placing emojis in your texts your phone coverts them from SMS to MMS (Picture Msgs) for which you are charged 83p each MMS. Your phone should warn you it is doing this before you hit Send.

Most, if not all, networks charge you for MMS. O2 certainly does!

If you think I helped please feel free to hit the "Thumbs Up" button below.

To phone EE CS: Dial Freephone +44 800 079 8586 - Option 1 for Mobile Phone & Mobile Broadband or Option 2 for Home Broadband & Home Phone

ISPs: 1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC => 2014: EE 20 Meg WBC => 2020: EE 40 Meg FTTC => 2022: EE 80 Meg FTTC (no landline number)
bristolian
Legend
Legend

When you insert content into a text message that your phone can't submit as SMS, you should get an onscreen warning of this, and the message is converted into MMS. In this way, it's a phone feature not a network one - and Android at least, let's you use the unicode character set that is a lot better at handling emojis as text.

Northerner
Grand Master
Grand Master

Hi @Alan1206 

You can buy an add-on if you send these types of message via EE SMS network. 

Thanks 

To contact EE Customer Services dial 150 From your EE mobile or 0800 956 6000 from any other phone. You can call Freephone +44 800 079 8586 on Skype

EE standard opening hours are 8am to 10.30pm every day.
WhatonEarth20
Explorer

I have noticed the same....it is like going back to the 1990's!!!!! I will be leaving this network as soon as I can. I have 2 sons on a Sky mobile account costing £10 a month with no extra charges anytime and I think they text more than me! What on earth is going on?

@WhatonEarth20 wrote:

I have noticed the same...

In which case the answer is the same. Sky Mobile charge extra for MMS exactly the same as EE do. Your son's phones are evidently setup differently to yours.

When you insert content into a text message that your phone can't submit as SMS, you should get an onscreen warning of this, and the message is converted into MMS. In this way, it's a phone feature not a network one - and Android at least, let's you use the unicode character set that is a lot better at handling emojis as text.

WhatonEarth20
Explorer

This is awful and dare I say going back towards 1990! We have noticed the same from March onwards. Better tell Apple to stop developing emojis!

Apple iPhone 13 message to Apple iPhone 15 - and charged

What settings should I actually be looking for?

Am I right in saying:
None of our data or unlimited texts cover ANY messages containing a picture or emojis?
What about if we are on wifi?

@WhatonEarth20 wrote:

None of our data or unlimited texts cover ANY messages containing a picture or emojis?
What about if we are on wifi?

Your text allowance is just that - a text message allowance. As per previous posts in this thread, Android phones give an on-screen notification of "converting to MMS" when non-compatible content is inserted, I assume Apple does similar. My post from 4th March @ 08.10am advises what settings you're looking for.

Your data allowance is for internet-based functions.

If you're connected using the mobile network, internet-based functions will use your data allowance whilst text messages & calls come from your call or text allowance.

If you're connected using WiFi, then calls & text messages use WiFi-calling and are charged in exactly the same way. Any internet-based functions such as apps or Apple-proprietry functions, will use your wireless connection.